Whale shark slaughter-tingloy,batangas (near anilao)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:puppy::depressed: This is very sad... The lame excuse given was disgusting...

On another thread today I posted a few words to say how good it was visiting (via Batangas) another close by location for a diving holiday (and paying good $ to drivers, hotels, dive instructors, boats, restaurants etc) - and then I came across this thread telling how a Whale shark was butchered, cut up, murdered with the local reporter telling complete bullsh#t about 'caught in nets' ------ makes me sick, totally, and makes me feel pity for the persons living around the area of the persons who could do that to such a pefect harmless beautiful animal.

If someone could accidentally chop off the balls of the persons who carried out the crime and the murder of the shark, please let me know, and I will make sure you are well paid for your help to humanity.

Last edited:
If someone could accidentally chop off the balls of the persons who carried out the crime and the murder of the shark, please let me know, and I will make sure you are well paid for your help to humanity.

Now you have soup number 5 and sharks fin soup......:D

I was there ... we (another group than the one previously photographed) helped get her back in the water so that she could at least die in some comfort rather than cooking in the sun.

The fish wardens were devastated at what had happened. I think they felt as though they had failed her....

She was not badly enough scarred to have been caught in a net so tightly that they had to cut off her fins. As far as I could see, she got caught in a fisheman's net and being an opportunistic bastard, he saw the fast buck.

I am an Aussie living in Macau and I can assure you that her fins would have fetched a pretty penny and all for status - the Chinese don't cook fins from large sharks - just display them like trophies...

This was a sad day in my life. I looked into her eyes after she was back in the water and I will never forget them...

I have attached a public link on facebook of a folder of photos from this incident... Please feel free to send the link to whoever you want... this butchering has to stop.

It is time that we all made the effort to educate school kids in both fishing communities and in the Chinese communities around the world about these animals and what finning is really about They need to see it is primitive butchery that has to stop. Start with the children who can learn - perhaps they can teach their parents and we will eventually put a stop to finning..

Kerill Ezzy's Photos - The Tragedy of Finning - Death of a Whale Shark | Facebook

We've forwarded these photos and others on this thread to the office of President GMA herself. She apparently is also a diver and may be sympathetic to the cause. Naive??? Perhaps. Does it hurt?... not at all.

Thanks to those involved in minimizing the suffering of the animal and those initiating the local campaign to seek out the people responsible for this.

It is not particularly surpising that fisherman mutilated an animal that was threatening to damage or destroy their gear. This kind of things happens all the time, and not just in Third World nations where environmental ignorance is common. Yes, it's sad and it's a shame. But I am struck that the carcass wasn't towed out to deeper water and released. A carcass of this size would provide the local marine ecosystem with a lot of nutrition. Why waste it by burying on the beach?

. A carcass of this size would provide the local marine ecosystem with a lot of nutrition. Why waste it by burying on the beach?

A carcass of that size would have fed a lot of people too. Not to sound cold, it does suck having fish like that killed for its fins, but trying to save a shark with its fins cut off is pretty hopeless. Why waste all the flesh?

We've forwarded these photos and others on this thread to the office of President GMA herself. She apparently is also a diver and may be sympathetic to the cause. Naive??? Perhaps. Does it hurt?... not at all.

Thanks to those involved in minimizing the suffering of the animal and those initiating the local campaign to seek out the people responsible for this.

actually, if memory serves me right, I believe she has personally dived with one in Tubbattaha (I was on the same liveaboard some years back and they showed a vid of the incident).

You might be on to something...

Back
Top Bottom