Whale Shark trip July 18th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prop Joe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Flew non-stop AA flt. 445 from ORD to CUN on the 17th.
Upon arrival met up with TV Mark. Bill and Roy also rounded our group of four. After filling out pig flu form, getting bags, clearing customs we met our driver from:
Home - Cancun Valet
Van that was used was nice newer Ford passenger van could easily hold us four and our bags. There are seats for 12. AC worked well. Driver was right outside CUN terminal exit holding clip board with my name on it. We were driven directly to Puerto Juares to catch the ferry to Isla Mujeres. Exactly as advertised. Email was sent to me after booking and had very good directions. No need for any phone calls. I will be using this company again. Nice!

We caught the 2:00 ferry to Isla Mujeres. Then local taxi to:
Hotel Posada del Mar
Hotel was clean and AC worked for a while (more about that later). After dropping our bags off at the rooms we went to Adrians Internet Cafe, which is located on the main square kiddie corner from the church. Talked with Adrian to arrange to meet Ramon from:
Whale Sharks Tours on Isla Mujeres Mexico
We met Ramon at 7:00 am (July 18th) right behind the PEMEX gas station docks. PEMEX is right on the water with coffe and snacks available as we waited for other people to arrive from Cancun. 1st impression of Ramon was impressive as he answered our many questions. He also gave us some laminated sheets with some facts of our large friends we where about to meet. We were in an approx. 28-30" boat, powered by twin 60HP, four stroke, Yamaha outboards. The craft had a low free-board which made it easier to access the water and the whale sharks. After a long three hour search we came upon a large group of whale sharks. While on our three hour search we were given grapes, apples, ham sandwiches, choices of juice, coke, diet coke and of course bottled water. I would guess our group of boats was around as many as a dozen. Some boats left earlier than others. We entered the water in pairs, the guide pointed and told us when/where too intercept, for a close encounter. We were given three chances to swim with the beast's. I cannot even begin to describe the feeling I had when I looked out into the water... They were as big or bigger than the boat and I was about to swim with them. All I can say is it was an unforgettable experience and I hope we can do it again!!! Absolutly awsome!!! I got some pretty good shots with my camera and someone was also shooting video with one of those new Olympus Tough 8000 camera's. After three tries of keeping up with the creatures. I was beat as was the rest of our boats occupants. After about an hour ride we had the island into view and did a quick snorkel on a local reef. Then it was back to the PEMEX pier. Just when i thought our adventure was over Ramon bought all of us a hot lunch from the little Cantina that served food right on the pier. We spent the better part of two hours picking Ramon's brain about what makes these creatures tick. Ramon has a wealth of knowledge and does not mind passing on any of the information he has acquired over his many years of working with these animals. AAA+++ operation.

After a our boat trip, upon returning to Posada Del Mar. TV Mark and I were conversing when all of the sudden the AC stopped again... After checking the obvious breaker box on the wall and checking it was plugged in we heard knocking on the door. Bill and Roy's AC in their room stopped also. After a call to the front desk the manager tried to get someone to figure out why we lost the 220 Volt line on our bank of the hotel. While he was sorting that out...
We took our rented golf cart to a nice resturant, hotel, bar place on the east side of the island. We discovered the resturant the day before on a golf cart tour around the island. TV Mark has the menu... The name escapes me now. Food was pricey but very good. I had some Jamaican pork and rice with steamed vegy's. They had red snapper and tuna steak and was said to be good.
Upon returning the AC stopped again and TV Mark and I moved down the hall and Bill and Roy were upgraded in the other wing of the hotel with working AC. I wasn't happy about moving but do do happens.
Next morning (July 19th) on the ferry back to Puerto Juares where we met another van from:
Home - Cancun Valet
Pick-up was perfect timing and we were off on our one hour trip to Playa Del Carmen to catch the ferry over to Cozumel. Van was another Ford with working AC that everyone found some time to snooze a little. Just missed the 11:00 am ferry and waited 40 minutes for the ferry at noon.

Then another short taxi to my favorite place:
Villa Aldora
I think Cozumel is my favorite place in the world. Great diving, great people, great food and great friends. Villa Aldora is very special to me and the wife. I proposed on the pier in 2006 and was married on the beach here in 2007.
I was pleasantly surprised to see that the owner of Aldora and the Villa, Dave Dillahey, was there with his family. Mellisa was there watching the place with Peggy helping her out. We also met Palagicsal (Sallye) from the board the 1st day. After a long snorkel. Mark and I were driven to the dive shop at 6:00 so we could drop off our gear.
We dove with:
Aldora Divers of Cozumel
I have 100-150 dives with Aldora. Steel 120's, long bottom times, great DM's and captain's. They say "The best of Cozumel" and I'm sold. Memo and Dave run a tight ship or I wouldn't be diving with them for the last ten years. The gear we dropped off the night before was already to go on the boat in the morning (July 20th). I've been having some hip problems and was put on El Pescador with Xavier as our DM. Palancar Gardens was 1st followed by Cedar Pass. Slow current on both dives and was easy and very relaxing. Vis was great and water was a very warn 84-85*F. We tried to get Roy to do a Resort course but he was still green from the whale shark trip and ferry rides. Not that the sea's were bad but he doesn't tolerate boat rides well. Bill is a certified diver but decided to hang out with Roy. Bill and Roy instead went for a 10 mile run! I'll go diving, thank you very much. Dinner was at the new Prima. Mmmmm. 2nd day diving (July 21st) was Palancar Bricks and Santa Rosa Wall. Mark and I went along the wall at a predetermined point and kept Xavier and group in sight as we were on 32% EAN and could stay deeper a little longer as the other divers were on air. We all surfaced together and that was the end of our diving this trip. El Morow for dinner. Then the the 8:00 am ferry to PDC the next day (July 22nd). Had the rickshaw guy haul our gear to the ADO bus terminal where we waited to get on the 9:00 ADO bus to CUN airport.
TV Mark got on UA 960 to start his trip to MCI. Bill, Roy and myself flew non-stop to ORD on AA 448.
Thanks to Ramon at Searious divers for the whale sharks tour.

Thanks to Aldora Divers (again) for another good time above and below the water. You guy's rock!!!

There is much more to this trip... Please ask any questions if you have any.

Joe

Last edited:
Joe,

I know this post is a year old but I am trying to book a dive on your recommendation... I hope they are still as good as you say. We will be arriving by cruise ship and hope to catch 2 dives with them... A year later and they still get the perks off your experience with them...! Pretty cool...

Thanks, lee

Aldora Divers of Cozumel
I have 100-150 dives with Aldora. Steel 120's, long bottom times, great DM's and captain's. They say "The best of Cozumel" and I'm sold. Memo and Dave run a tight ship or I wouldn't be diving with them for the last ten years.

Okay...
Just saw this response while linking back...
How was your experiance?
Joe

Okay...
Just saw this response while linking back...
How was your experiance?
Joe
Thanks for jumping back in Joe...

We will be going mid January... but since we found so many positives regarding Aldora we went ahead and booked a trip! The conversations we have had with them to date have been very positive and we are looking forward to a really good day of diving with them...

Back
Top Bottom