Whale sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Antoine

I hadnt noticed the little flags! My knowledge of French is extremely minimal but I will remember the names for Whale Shark and Humpbacked Whale in future!

Maggie

Hi Antoine,

Believe it or not, I thought my translator first gave me whaleshark for "baleine à bosses," but I have double checked and you indeed are correct that it is "requin baleine," while "baleine à bosse" is humpback whale.

Thanks for the clarification.

DocVikingo

hi maggie,

looks like you are whale shark hunting !! 2 places i know of are Ningaloo Reef (n.w. australia) where there are guaranteed sightings and Similan Islands \ Surin Banks off Thailand. the first option might be better for you as its land based while the second one is on a liveaboard and am sure iain will hate you if you take him on a boat for extended periods of time !!

will try and let you know more abt ningaloo reef soon. bye for now.

venkat

Western Australia.They have regular whale shark sightings.
The US dollar gets double value there aswell.
Check the migration patterns on them to see where they are found 'world-wide' otherwise you may end up limiting options.Hope that helps.
Cheers Ears,

The whalesharks visit Seychelles in August and again in November. There are not only liveaboards in this region, but almost all the landbased hotels offer scubadiving, snorkeling or daytrips. Accommodation varies from the very luxurious to self catering chalets.

From what I saw on the BBC travel segment the best place in the world to dive with Whale sharks is the Bahamas for 2 reasons.
Post Sept to at least April they migrate thru the bahamas

Secondly you can even snorkel with them, u don't even need Scuba gear

Try Thailand.
Lived there for three years and the Similan islands are a good bet. OOps forgot non-diving hubby
Can do also Phi Phi. Good chance of manta as well

Originally posted by Dee
From what I understand, the Bay Islands are the only place where whale sharks are seen year round.

I have a friend who dives a couple of times a year in the Bay Islands (Utilla) and always sees whale sharks.

Safe diving y'all,
Steve

UTILA IS DEFINETLY THE PLACE TO BE. PROVIDING THE WEATHER COOPERATES AND YOU GET TO THE NORTH SIDE, THEY SEE THEM REGULARLY. THE WHALE SHARK INSTITUTE GO THERE SEVERAL TIMES A YEAR. THEY HAVE A DISPLAY IN UTILA LODGE THAT IS THERE HOME BASE WHEN IN UTILA. THE BOAT CAPTAINS AT UTILA LODGE AND BAY ISLAND COLLEGE OF DIVING ARE WELL KNOWN FOR WHALE SHARK FINDINGS.THEY HAVE BEEN WRITTEN UP IN MOST DIVE MAGS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom