What a great day with Scubamau!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You ate barracuda?! :eek: There have been some reports of Ciguatera poisoning from Lions too.

You ate barracuda?! :eek: There have been some reports of Ciguatera poisoning from Lions too.

From what I've understood, ciguatera is an issue when there's a problem with high levels of toxins in the algae on the reefs. In areas with a lot of "water quality" concerns, I would only be eating fish caught way off shore.

Last time I heard anything about ciguatera in Cozumel was a few years ago and it was a brief time. The local fisherman in most places are also pretty good at recognizes affected fish, not sure how exactly, or if it's true, but that's what I've been told.

Barracuda is regularly caught and cooked up by fishing charters off the mainland. It's supposed to be fantastic grilled and in ceviche too.

I do not think there is any way to recognize affected fish, but fishing in unaffected areas is probly effective.

Hi Dandy-kinda freaks me out how fisherman know but they do. One way they told me was to taste the liver. He bit into it. He spit out the chewed liver and said it's good, it didnt numb my tongue. Cool. we ate it. Gave some fish to a family.
By the way I earlier said the shooter was rep from Riffe. Mexican translation issue. He isnt, he just has brand new Riffe guns and is out playing. He has the boat for several days he has picked. Great guy from California. He asked if I would like to go today again. We went out to Villa Blanca and he nailed another 3.5ft cuda. What a great shot. I videoed it but he wanted the chip to down load so I cant post that one. Heading out Saturday to the east side with him hunting and I am taking my big video set. Those shots are going to be really cool. Stay tuned.lol.

So we went to Palancar Caves today for the first dive. Mau was doing a deep dive cert and I was diving with a lady that was on her 50th dive. Juan Pablo dm'd. I just love those swim throughs and tunnels. I bounced to 175 to see how many lion fish where down there. They seem to be thinning, but they are huge.
My gas lasted way longer than hers and I ended at the gardens. I found 2 sea horse there. What a find. No camera. crap.
Also found several pipe horse too. Several tiny nudi in the moss. A great dive.
We had our surface interval at Paradise beach again.

Our second dive was a wreck cert for Mau. So Pablo took myself and the lady diver through. Then we drifted over to Chankannab reef. Again she was low on air. I was blowing 32 and had 1800lbs left. I told Pablo to have a nap I'll be up later. lol. I love cruzing the coral heads there. So many things to see. I really like to sit in the middle of the garden eels. After sitting for 5 mins they all come out really far to eat. Very cool to see. They become very curious but cautious too.
I sat and watched several jaw fish do their thing, that's fun too. That was a long dive, kinda hit deco and was under for an hour and a half. wow. very cool dive.
And again the third dive was unexpected and I was asked to go hunting when we got back to the dock. I didnt need to much convincing.
It is nice and hot, very sunny. I see lots of red people. bad.
I am riding my bike every where and at night I still am wearing a sleeveless shirt, very warm at night. Very little wind tonight.
I was asked if I live here today, so I guess my tan is getting there.:D

I am brand new to scuba board and a new diver
is it common practice in Cozumel to do deco diving and dive alone without the divemaster?
I have been reading about Cozumel and thought you had to be with a divemaster to dive there.
What is it to bounce to 175 ft.

Ok well, Scuba Mau is a great dive Op, but I'm not eating anyone's baracuda - the most infamous for Ciguatera poisoning, clean water notwithstanding. If it was a good idea, we'd see it on menus all the time as they are easy to find and catch or spear. Ciguatera symptoms are worse that bends.
I am brand new to scuba board and a new diver
is it common practice in Cozumel to do deco diving and dive alone without the divemaster?
I have been reading about Cozumel and thought you had to be with a divemaster to dive there.
What is it to bounce to 175 ft.
Hi Diving and welcome to SB. If you update your profile with location we may be able to help you more when needed.

No, deco diving, bounces to 175 ft, diving without a DM and such are not normal there, but many of our posters are not either. If you've never been to Coz, it's good to hire a private DM the first day as your buddy, money well spent for a newbie, but the DMs lead safe dives generally. Following varies, and I'm bad myself about not trailing well - but I try not to get carried away.

Thank you DandyDon I will update my profile location and thank you for the answer.
I thought it sounded funny diving to 175 ft. I remember my instructor talking about a 60 foot limit for open water diving and a 100 ft limit for advanced open water and maximum diving limit of 130.
I am thinking about going to Cozumel soon and that is a very good suggestion about hiring a private dive master.

Thank you DandyDon I will update my profile location and thank you for the answer.
I thought it sounded funny diving to 175 ft. I remember my instructor talking about a 60 foot limit for open water diving and a 100 ft limit for advanced open water and maximum diving limit of 130.
I am thinking about going to Cozumel soon and that is a very good suggestion about hiring a private dive master.
Well, you can forget those limits as they were published by lawyers. Rules are only suggestions around the Caribbean and Latin America region and where your Op is willing to take you will generally depend on how good of a diver you seem to be as they evaluate you day by day, with exceptions - as I have had an Op take my boat to do a 130 ft dive my first day ever with the Op. On one hand, the Ops and DMs are generally safe, rare & exceptional stories notwithstanding, but on the other - there is not much 60 ft diving in Coz. It's up to you to set your personal limits as well as communicate them with your Op before boarding and with your dive buddy, as well as not follow some DM on a too deep dive that was not planned - but 80 & 100 ft plans are common, deeper on some advanced dives that newbie shouldn't be on, but it still happens.

And one or two minutes of deco is no biggie; we've planned those at times with appropriate divers onboard. My personal rules include holding at 15 ft SS until my computer is back into the green, but that doesn't happen when I go red at all so I get it down as low as possible in yellow until my air is low.

Your dive plans will probly never exceed 100 ft if that on your first trips. Remember your training even tho a few points actually do not apply as we discovered here; stay close to your DM as he has the SMB the boat will watch for and other boats should avoid, and other reasons; keep your reg in your mouth until you are on the ladder at least; and if caca hits fan on the surface, don't forget to drop your weights - one of the most common failings in Accidents forum it seems.

And if you make several trips without any problems, great. :thumb: Most of my problems have been of my own making. :blush:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom