What About A 3-Buddy Group?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

garydemos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am diving with my daughter and son-in-law next month and haven't come across any discussions about a three-some buddy group. Am I wrong in thinking that all 3 of us can be our own buddy group?

Do it all the time with my sons. Have a leader (take turns-good experience), stay together and have fun.

It's very common. You just need to make sure that you have good communication so that if a diver with an issue gets the attention of one person on the team, the other one will know quickly as well.

If you get a fourth, make two teams of two.

I do it a bit. You can't always guarantee an even number of people.

You just have to do the necessary safety precautions, which are almost the same as for a regular buddy group (i.e., dive plan, hand signals, distance from each other, when to turn, etc.). Usually, the person using up air the fastest dictates the dive (e.g., turning or ending point).

Ive done it. The experience depends on the competency of the buddies. My son and wife had not been as often as i have so i was keeping sharp eyes on both. My head was constantly on a swivel.

They also were looking out for me too.

Still, its done quite often

Usually if im diving in a group of 3 one of us will go up front and act as leader. The two behind then follow and keep and eye on each other and the guy in front.

Three is the best dive team in my opinion. It ensures everyone has redundancy even if someone has a failure. More the three starts to complicate thing for me since alot of my diving is in less then 10 foot vis.

I had substantial trouble with teams of 3 until I took Fundies. Now I love them.

It's hard to give specific advice without diving with you, since so much of communication is intangible. Basically to do teams of three really well you need:
-Good buoyancy control (hard to keep tabs on two other people in three dimensions)
-Preferably can lights on all 3 people, and know how to use them for signalling (keep beams steady and in the other person's field of view)
-Good situational awareness on all three people's part (or at least 2 of the three at minimum)
-Good communications protocols:
-The guy in the middle relays the signal
-Command signals are always confirmed
-Don't be too "chatty"

I always recommend the Cave Diving Communication book that the NSS/CDS puts out. It's hard to get your hands on but a really thoughtful walk-through of all of the issues (not just hand signals).

Thanks everyone - great advice as always. We are all 3 very new divers so all the words of wisdom and experience are invaluable. I've really learned from this forum the importance of thoroughly reviewing procedures and protocol before a dive with your buddy(s). I look forward to applying this good info when we dive in Belize in may.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom