What About A 3-Buddy Group?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd also suggest you dive 3 across..never allow one of you to actually be in front of the others.....You need to be peripherally aware off the others, and this works side to side, not behind you.
The can lights used by gsk3 would be an exponential improvement, but expensive for new divers....however, you can "make" the equivalent of a can light for peanuts, using a normal dive light with good tight focus beam. It has the light sitting on top of your left wrist, hand free to grasp whatever you want. When you want to signal a buddy, the light is an awesome way to get attention--flashing across the view of the diver you need to contact.....
Someone here can probably offer up a link for a DIY can light alternative......Meanwhile, if you don't know what a canister light and goodmand handle is, see this.. http://www.halcyon.net/lights/eos12and this Mini-Explorer | Halcyon Dive Systems ....and this OMS Goodman Handle - OMS Canister Lighting ..... and LED Light Systems by Light Monkey - Dive Gear Express

Like I said, a DIY handle set up can cost about $40 or less, plus the cost of the light you want to have on top pf your wrist...see the links for the pics....

Things get more complicated with a 3 member team VS a 2 member. But it's perfectly doable and in fact it's my preference to dive in a team rather than as a pair.

I would suggest moving together as a unit rather than having two follow the leader. It's very easy for the two in back to get caught up and the leader ends up swimming off and out of sight. This means that during changes in directions, the entire team should hover for a second until the leader indicates the next direction of travel.

When checking up on one member, check up on the rest of your team. You have to treat each teammate as you would your buddy when diving in a buddy pair, a lot of divers in my experience tend to forget about the third diver.

Since moving together as a unit can become very challenging, unless you're well versed with your dive team, I would suggest keeping within visual contact of each other at all times. When you look to one diver, look up to the other. Same goes with signaling and uw buddy checks.

When swimming along I would suggest to form a position so that the following divers are within a small head turn from the lead diver.
If the lead diver has to stop or roll around to spot the other two, then they're not in a good position.
One good 3-team position I use is to have diver 2 offset about 0.5ft higher than the lead diver and diver 3 to be offset by 1ft higher than the lead.
Both following divers will be behind the lead, matched up so their heads are at the lead's shoulders. With this setup all divers can view one another and make eye contact with a simple turn of the head.
Depending on personal preference the lead can be in the middle or all the way right/left of the following divers.

The way I see it is this:

Have a dedicated leader, communicate well underwater, swim 3 wide, and have each person be responsible to only 1 other person (ie- A looks after B, B looks after C, C looks after A) if there is a problem only one person should assist and the other should stay close if needed but not get in the way either. I can see there being an issue with too much choice/options which can lead to further confusion if something is seriously wrong. If you're in trouble you don't want 2 people giving you options making you need to think.

You can't always have an even number of people so a 3 way should be acceptable but hammer out all the details and contingencies prior to descent. You will need pay even more attention to this when there is an added person. Just a thought...

The way I see it is this:

Have a dedicated leader, communicate well underwater, swim 3 wide, and have each person be responsible to only 1 other person (ie- A looks after B, B looks after C, C looks after A) if there is a problem only one person should assist and the other should stay close if needed but not get in the way either. I can see there being an issue with too much choice/options which can lead to further confusion if something is seriously wrong. If you're in trouble you don't want 2 people giving you options making you need to think.

You can't always have an even number of people so a 3 way should be acceptable but hammer out all the details and contingencies prior to descent. You will need pay even more attention to this when there is an added person. Just a thought...

It sounds like a good and simple coordinated plan, the problem with this is that if it's followed precisely, C will never get a response from A, B will never get a response from C and A will never get a response from B.
In reality this kinda puts a damper on the dive, so often the buddies will break from the plan and A ends up acknowledging C, B will acknowledge A and so forth until you either
i) everyone's communicating and checking up on each other or
ii) one person's left out of the communication

We dive 3-buddy groups all the time. We typically opt for diving in a V pattern with the person up front being the dive leader. Throughout the dive, the leader frequently checks on the other 2 divers to ensure everything is going good, as well as regular air checks( turn pressures established prior to dive). With where we are diving, lights work great for signally an issue. It is readily seen by the other divers. Pre-dive briefing is directed by the dive leader. For buddy checks, A checks B, B checks C, and C checks A. During the dive the dive leader frequently checks on the other 2 divers which are side by side.

The formation you use in a 3 person team depends upon the terrain you're diving. What is perfect at one dive location is foolish in another.

In any buddy group, whether 2 or 3, communication is the key, along with FOLLOWING THE DIVE PLAN. Everyone also has to be on the same page as far as buddy proximity and buddy awareness are concerned. My wife and I regularly take on the "odd man out" on the dive boat who has no one to buddy with. When we do, I be sure we brief throughly as to expectations of each of us, and then we set the "rules" for the dive. If everyone follow the plan, no problem. If our "guest" does not, then we uninvite him. We also have dove buddy teams of three when travelling with friends. Three diveres who dive together regularly make a great buddy team.
DivemasterDennis

I had really bad experiences with 3 person teams when I was a new diver. What I eventually learned is that they work absolutely fine, as long as staying together is a priority for all three divers. That means you have to do a visual check on the other two divers (or at least on the identified leader) frequently; how often depends on the viz. The precise formation, as boulderjohn has said, depends on the topography. Swimming three abreast works great on open reef, but not at all on a wall or along the hull of a wreck. Where you have to do a follow-the-leader arrangement, it becomes even more imperative that the leader make very frequent visual checks on the team. Bright lights help enormously in low light or low viz, but are pretty useless in shallow, sunlit water.

C will never get a response from A, B will never get a response from C and A will never get a response from B.

Yup that's exactly correct. Everyone still has someone looking out for each other though and it's not to say that the other will do nothing. I said they should stay close to help if needed. You would actually be in a triangle/circle type formation. Yes I also agree topography permitting.

Think of people going through a doorway; 2 people show up at the same time, one guys says "you go first", the other guys says "no you go first" and they both stumble then both end up trying to go at the same time anyway. We've all seen this confusion and stumble in one way or another and it throws a person off. If I'm out of air I don't want something like that to happen when one person is about to hand me air then hesitates cause he thinks the other guy is going to hand air and there is this same back and forth dance under water while my time is running out. I only want one person giving me an octo, it's clear and concise and no thought process is needed. Adding another person into the mix can throw things off. Now the other buddy should still be there in case your primary buddy cant get his octo out or something happens etc.

Hopefully I explained myself a bit better this time albeit a bit long winded!

In my experience the most important part of a 3 buddy dive team is communication before the dive. If the dive requires good compass/navigation skills the best or most comfortable diver should take that role. Review in detail lost buddy protocol since higher likelihood of a separation with 3 divers. Also discuss how fast to swim and if will go single file or side by side. The highest chances of getting separated are when looking at something interesting. Go over getting the group to stop, hand signals for the critter, then make sure everyone is ready to go before setting off. If one person stops to look at something the other two might not notice then someone will be separated.

And most of all have fun and dive safe!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom