What about getting trolled?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Usually, a fishing lure is not a serious problem. What will really get your attention is a 10 pound downrigger ball on a steel cable coming toward you at about 5 knots. As was said previously, engine noise is not difficult to hear. But, since sound is nondirectional (for humans) underwater, look around when you hear it.

My buddy once got a fish hook through his fin on a night dive. The fisherman was trying to reel him in and he was not carrying any cutting device. I cut the line for him, but if I had not done so his only choice would have been to ditch the fin and swim back to the entry point with 1 fin. Not an easy task! So ... line cutting devices are essential.

In the daytime, you should (?) be able to see the lure and avoid it. Probably best to avoid night fishing areas entirely.

Why could he have not surfaced & asked for his fin back??...

Usually, a fishing lure is not a serious problem. What will really get your attention is a 10 pound downrigger ball on a steel cable coming toward you at about 5 knots. As was said previously, engine noise is not difficult to hear. But, since sound is nondirectional (for humans) underwater, look around when you hear it.

Or an anchor!:no

A divers down flag/float with a strobe may be illegal. Just think about that as a strobe has many emergency and guidance meaning in the ocean. You have to do some research on it though as I know we can NOT place strobes on the shore at night to guide us back in.

Better to get some linecutters :D

Attachments

• hook.jpg
    hook.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 31
I'm sure you could rig something like that. It shouldn't take more than an hour or so for someone to steal it.

I think he was considering using it more as a target.

Better to get some linecutters :D

Hey, sometimes **** happens.lol..i had that happen to me offshore Louisiana but thru my ear lobe---no big deal there, I just stood still(was attached to a R&R in one of my side rocket launchers) and waited till we got the shark in that someone had on @ the time.......Cut the hook in half & 'backed' it out......

Back
Top Bottom