What are realistic chances of getting to Verde Isl in July (off/monsoon season)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cephalopod2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So I'm planning to return to Anilao for 2 weeks diving in mid July and was thinking of relocating to Puerto Galera for 3-4 days in the hope of getting to Verde Isl. I know it's off season and monsoon season (though I am told Anilao is usually not hit).

My worry is that there may not be a lot of divers around due to the season. And I've never been during monsoon season, but I am guessing winds and/or rains are more likely.

To the PG-experienced: What realistically do you think the chances are that a trip to Verde Island might run in off/monsoon season with, say, a 3 day window of opportunity? I'm travelling solo so there's also the obstacle of getting the minimum number of divers interested. Should I just scrap this idea and stay in Anilao (where I love the diving)?

Has anyone been diving in Anilao in mid-July? Should I be expecting winds, rain or both?

Many thanks.

July to Oct is indeed the low season in the country. If you are willing to pay and the sea is not rough then you should have no problem of getting to Verde Island from PG. But if you prefer to have others to share the cost for the boat then it is another story. Some dive shops will put out notice to advertise for the trip in advance.

You should expect rain in July but it does not last for hr and hr unless there is a typhoon around. Anilao is pretty protected from wind.

Email the Biggest/Best resorts. They will be putting on trips if the currents & tides are good. Anything over 1.6m tide variance I would be not recommend at the moment. You'll be surprised how many local ex-pats in PG love diving at this time of year, sea is warm & viz good at the moment :) I'm sure you'll find a group.
- Asia Divers
- Blue Ribbon
- Atlantis
- Scandi Divers
Best of luck!

I'll be diving PG July 16-18, emailed Scandi Divers about Verde and they said they go. If you're in the area during that time and your shop doesn't want to do a trip to Verde, come by Scandi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom