what are the odds? wow!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last summer I bought a new Sensus dive recorder. On the last dive of the day, first day using it, I dropped it. I didn't realize at the time, just saw a flash at the bottom edege of my periforal vision next to the column that supports a dive platform. Realized what it was when breaking my gear down. DAMN! $125 bucks down the drain!

One week later and I'm in the same quarry. Head to the platform drop down, reach my arm into 2' of muck and hydrilla and pull out my recorder within 15 seconds of starting the search. I now have a dive profile that is 160+ hours long. :) Didn't log that one. I wasn't sure how to look it up on my tables...

Last year while conducting a class one of my students found a fin at about 25 feet. Amazingly, the next day we found its mate just a few feet deeper. Based on the markings I was able to determine that they were rental fins from a local shop. I called the shop to let them know I had found the fins. They weren't all that interested in getting them back. Turns out they'd charged the poor fellow who lost them about $65 more than he could've purchased them for, brand new. They did tell me that if I wanted to drive across town and bring them to the shop, they'd take them back, though.

They're still sitting in my garage ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

at Service Club Beach in Venice, FL we were diving for teeth. The weather had been bad, and the vis was less than a foot. As we were swimming out about 300 yards from shore we came across a crab pot. At the same time we could hear a boat coming in. I started to ascend the pot line to yell at the captain for blatantly ignoring our dive flag. When I got to the surface, I was facing the low sun and was having a difficult time seeing with my mask on. As I was yelling at the captian I instinctively yanked my mask off and slid the strap up my left arm as I often do when leaving the water. A few moments later, the situation resolved. I reached around my neck for my mask to find it missing. I then checked my right arm, and my left, it was gone, and I was poed. My wife went back down to take a look. but by the time we discovered the mask missing, we had drifted 25 or so yards in heavy swells. I swam in on my back.

When we reached shore there was another pair of divers getting ready to head out. They were walking around in the shallows. One of the pair had lost their mask while entering the water.

So I headed to the dive shop and bought a new mask.

The next day we headed back to the beach. The vis wasn't much better. The thought of looking for my mask never even crossed my mind. We walked out, took our heading and about 300 yards off shore I swam DIRECTLY OVER my lost mask. I stelathily picked it up and slid it around my neck with out my wife seeing.

I left it on my neck the whole dive and while we were breaking down the gear. She finally noticed. I gave her a puzzeled look then feigned surprise.....

Pretty lucky I guess!
pc

it's funny, too... non-divers can't relate... kind of like being a pirate and discovering lost treasure!

37 years young and only getting younger!

--c

It is interesting how people react to finds. I was diving with two other guys and off in the murkey distance it looked like a diver down in the water.

One guy panicked.....one guy went into Diver Rescue mode....and I thought...cool some new gear. (Well somebody ought to make use of it!)

It just turned out to be an old log.

Back
Top Bottom