What are you using for a backup light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bfenne

Registered
Reaction score
What are you using for a backup light and what brand? I am trying to decide what my best options are and wanted to see if there was a general concensus,thanks.

Personally I'm using Princeton Tec 40s. Simple and (so far) reliable.
The Pelican Super SaberLight, Manta Sidekick, Tektite Trek 200 or 300, and UK SL4 are all inexpensive and make nice backup lights. I've seen the Tec 40s and SL4s more than any other light, and I've owned a few of each.

If you want/need something even more reliable, there's the Halcyon Scout, and Photon Torpedo from www.dinplugs.com

Where do you dive and what kind of primary light do you use?

Photon torpedo here!

Jason

UK Q40 and the even smaller, but same power 2L. These are suitable only because I'm in clear water and the primaries are just 7.5 or 13W halogen lights.

If you and your buddy are using HIDs or very high power halogen lights, then you need to up the size of your backups accordingly.

I use the Halcyon Scout for my backup and I'm really happy with it. Fairly small, powerful, slightly too expensive but indestructible.

Was using my overrated Scout light for several years, now using the Photon Torpedo. Both are excellent, but the Scout is in the box, the PT is on the BC.

---
Ken

HLD1 by MAL-Lighting, very bright, very tough, and very expensive ~ still on the fence if it was worth the money.

where can you buy the photon torpedo?

Back
Top Bottom