Need A Backup Light.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eastwest

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'am missing my sartek backup double C light .It was not very bright but want something similar that is heavy duty and a twist on type . My motto is buy quality gear you life depends on it . Not always safe Rumdumb

Only possible issue with the twist version is that you are stuck with a very bright light with no way to turn it down to conserve battery life.

Depends what you are after -

1) A bright, narrow-beam light used to peak under ledges and signal/get the attention other divers. Typically 4-8* beam angle and 1000-2000 lumens. I used a twist action Diverite BX2 for a long time, but replaced it with a button Orcatorch 570 GL which has a green laser - much easier to get others attention in the murk. Both brands are very robust.

2) A light to examine fish and night dive with: dimmable down to ~500 lumens or less, red light, and wider beam. I'm using a Ocra 710V, but theres plenty of options.

It would be great if a light had the features of both 1 and 2, but for now I use two lights, with the signal light/backup residing on my shoulder strap.

I find the main use of my light is to get the attention of other photographers/divers, not light up critters, so light 1 gets the most use.

I prefer button to twist as I need to turn my torch on with only one hand, and some twist models seem to turn on at depth.

Personally I hate it when I see folks pointing ultra bright lights onto fish.

Cheers
Rohan

Check out Ammonite, I own the LED ONE MK2 (AA). Solid construction, long run time. Only slight issue is customer service is a bit spotty and getting parts, O rings and coloured bands, very difficult.

I did a wee review here.

@Eastwest, I don't have experience with Sartek, but based on what Sartek manufactures and your wishes, look at Halcyon, Heser, and Light Monkey C-battery powered lights. All these lights are high-quality with a twist switch.

I always have a Heser Short Backup on me. It takes 2 C cell batteries, comes with a heat sink, and upgradeable LED module. Heser also has some spare parts of it, too. At $200, you want spare parts. It is not the brightest light, but it gives enough usable light for hours if you dive overhead and need a light source. It is also sturdy and heavy. A longer, 3 C cell version is available.

You can buy Heser Backups from Fathom Dive, Heser, or Deepstop.De.

Halcyon Scout and Light Monkey lights are similar.

@Eastwest, I don't have experience with Sartek, but based on what Sartek manufactures and your wishes, look at Halcyon, Heser, and Light Monkey C-battery powered lights. All these lights are high-quality with a twist switch.

I always have a Heser Short Backup on me. It takes 2 C cell batteries, comes with a heat sink, and upgradeable LED module. Heser also has some spare parts of it, too. At $200, you want spare parts. It is not the brightest light, but it gives enough usable light for hours if you dive overhead and need a light source. It is also sturdy and heavy. A longer, 3 C cell version is available.

You can buy Heser Backups from Fathom Dive, Heser, or Deepstop.De.

Halcyon Scout and Light Monkey lights are similar.
Why buy a C-cell light today?

@tursiops - OP asked about heavy duty lights and implied that C-cell options were okay. Hence, my reply.

I dive with rechargeable batteries, but Heser is always on me. Bulletproof - the quality is top notch. Batteries are available anywhere in the world. Usable lights for hours in cave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom