What are your reasons for taking up SCUBA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Jerm:
... now I count the days between dives. It's what keeps me going.

Especially being landlocked I do the same thing...

I took up SCUBA because...
1. my friends signed up and dh was already certified
2. My students think it's "cool"
3. I want my children to learn to seek and love adventure
4. I love being critically self-sufficient
5. I have too many shoes ($$)

most significant reason for continuing

6. I love the feeling of being a part of the ocean.

Couldnt afford a submarine

cause when I pee'd on myself while golfing people got all uppity about it so I was looking for an activity that wasnt full of a bunch of stuck up people judging me. Divers are cool that way.
Oh yeah, the fish and zero gravity thing is awesome as well.

Well, I wanted to go skiing, but the GF at the time wnated a "tropical holiday" Anyone who knows me will know that sitting still for hours on end is not my idea of fun, so I had to find something to actually do. I was walking to the shops one day and noticed the "Learn to scuba dive" sign, this was 4 weeks before the trip to Vanuatu. The rest is history :)

Z...

Turned 50. Survived cancer. Wanted to fulfill a life-long dream. Asked the wife, "Do you mind if I get a motorcycle?" She said, "Yes I mind. Those things are too dangerous!" Then I asked, "Is it OK if I go play with the sharks instead?" She said, "Sure. No problem." So here I am.

started scuba with the end goal of taking up cavediving. always been fascinated by wet caves and i would watch natl geo etc. and wait for these programs. finally when i could afford it and old enough to i took the plunge and took up diving. i would say my end goal is 2 to 3 years away

You can blame my being in the water on Arthur C. Clarke, Gordon R. Dickson, Robert A. Heinlein, E. E. "Doc" Smith and their books of science and fantasy from years gone bye. A Whitman book called "Divers Down" from when I was in Middle school added to the interest, so when I was offered the chance to take a YMCA Junior Course in 1979 through the university extension program, I jumped at the chance. Some years I'm wet all the time, and others I never get into the water. Eventually, though, I get back and keep at it. It's one time I feel graceful and happy despite feeling clumsy and overworked above water the rest of the time.

to be burried in the caves? :D

Spoon:
started scuba with the end goal of taking up cavediving.

.... i would say my end goal is 2 to 3 years away

sort of out of the blue...

i was in Grand Cayman, and saw all the scuba-related stuff.... so i took a resort
course

and that was that. hooked.

came back to the states, got certified, and have been endangering myself and
others since

it was like a brand new world, and i just had to be able to visit it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom