What BP/W set up are you using?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hammerhead stainless
Diverite STA
11' of 2" webbing and a couple stainless d-rings and stainless buckle
Oxycheq 30# Mach V for here in Colorado and looking to get a smaller wing for travel. Prolly the 18# Oxycheq or one of Tobins wings.

Do you know if the slots in the hammerhead plate line up with the slots in the oxycheq wing?

I'm diving the Hammerhead Stainless Steel with one piece sta and Hog rig when I use my HP120.
I have a Dive rite wing.
Great combo and I've been very happy with it.

I also have a Hammerhead Aluminum for my travel plate buy I want to match that up with a new Oxycheq.

Oxycheq plate with the doubles, Halcyon SS plate for winter diving using a single, a couple of off brand AL plates for travel. One piece webbing for all. Very minimal HOG setup. I do need a new wing for the single, however.

The old Pioneer wing is.. well it's getting OLD and I don't really want to trust it for trips anymore.

...Let me know what your set up is just so I have the names and combinations to start my research. If you want to tell me what you like/dislike about it that would be great too but searching BP/W brings up WAY too many results. I'm hoping a search for different brands will help narrow down the results...

Deep Sea Supply 6 lb stainless steel backplate
Oxycheq 50 lb tech wing
15 ft of generic weight-belt webbing (black)
4 D-rings
1 stainless steel buckle
6 weight keepers

comfortable, adjustable, and effective.

And yes, the slots in the DSS plate line up with the slits in the Oxycheq wing perfectly.

Freedom PLate from Eric Sedletzky.
p1010090_101.jpg

Freedom Plate with Oxy Mach V 30.

Hammerhead with Sea Tec wing or Mach V 30.

Oxy Mach V 18 with Oxy ultralight plate.

Also dive the Freedom Plate with a Sea Tec horsecollar or no BC at all.

N

I have sold all my Dive Rite gear. I sold my DSS Torus 42 wing, but only because I needed a different shape. The Oxycheq Vertex 55 worked better in the water than any other doubles wing I've ever tried. My Evolve is a close second so I won't be getting rid of it.

What tanks have you used with the Vertex 55 and Evolve 60 wings?

I also had a DSS Torus 42, or an earlier version of it, Torus 45, to be precise, that I later sold because it was too rear biased in lift for me personally. I switched to an H Evolve 40, which was significantly longer (~4" more empty), narrower, rounder (no rear bias), and had a wider rear arc; all characteristics I personally like. The H Evolve 60 seems different from the Vertex 55 in those same characteristics (just going by pics and what I've read), except the Vertex is the narrower wing in this case, and less rear biased than the Torus 45, though I'm guess (by pics) that it has more reat bias than the Evolve 60 (right?).

So I'm wondering, was it just the narrower profile and ~10# smaller bag size* that made the difference for you, or did you also like the shorter body and narrower rear arc of the Vertex? Did you use it with short or long tanks?

*note: I'm using 10# instead of 5# as the size differential because I was told by someone who works for Halcyon that the Evolves' nominal ratings are ~6% under the actual lifts, whereas Oxycheq Vertex 55 is about 54 or 55 in actual (free) lift iirc - I think it was discussed in some previous thread... that is, they differ about ~10# in actual lift...

The Golem stuff is excellent. I am not super thrilled with the shapes, but the quality is top notch and I'd recommend it (and have).

Does your assessment above also include the Golem 55 Ring Wing? It looks like my H Evolve 40 in terms of shape:

403.jpg

And since I love the Evolve 40, I'd consider the Golem 55 as one of my top options, among Vertex 55, Evolve 60, others... (depending on the intended tanks and my lift requirements), were I to need a second doubles wing with more lift. Basically, I wondering if the Golem 55 Ring Wing is basically an in-between version of the two Evolves? (If you have a chance to try that, PM me your thoughts on it).

To answer OP: 2 DSS plates + DSS extra weight plates when necessary (and often a channel/sausage weight pouch too). Hog harness, except with an added quick-release above left chest d-ring. H Evolve 40 wing; great with long Luxfer 80 doubles and similar (long) tanks. Oxycheq Mach V Razor 30# wing for my single-tank diving. I love that wing, but it's been discontinued, and anyway, a regular or extreme Mach V 30, or a DSS Torus 26 would probably be better choice for most people. For tropical warm water diving, I'm considering getting the DSS 17# TTW; the 30# wings work great in the tropics, but a 17# donut would be a luxury... I don't use or recommend horseshoe wings though, but that debate has been beaten to death, so I won't rehash it further now...

Diverite Al plates with Rec wing.
Just got them, and will be trying them out this weekend in Philippines.

Diverite Al plates with Rec wing.
Just got them, and will be trying them out this weekend in Philippines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom