What can brown do TO you today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just received a package via DHL and I had ordered it from the company via UPS Blue Label. Well I aure am glad they shipped it DHL because it came overnight instead of 2 day for a lower price. I will probably start using DHL in the future. Right now I use UPS and FedEx. I have more problems with delivery via FedEx and more driver troubles with UPS. It's a give and take. I give, they take.......

Boogie711:
Never, ever, ever send UPS to Canadians. They hit you with brokerage fee's, COD fee's, Account fees for setting up the brokerage fees, tax fees.

Unfortunately, it's the law that a broker must be involved if the shipment is over a certain amount (usually about $100 Cdn). So no matter who you ship with, you will be required to pay a brokerage fee through the shipper unless you have arranged a broker yourself.

Also, unless it was proved that tax was paid at the time of purchase, good shipped into Canada must pay PST (Provincial Sales tax) and GST (Goods & Services Tax). In some provinces this combo can run as high as 15%.

And don't forget duty. However, thanks to Free Trade, there is no duty on goods mfged in Canada or the US for cross border shoppers.

So as much as I dislike UPS, they are not the only ganiffs out there. :devil:

FWIW, I got my regs shipped via DHL from Spain... to my door at 9 am Friday morning, less than 72 hours after placing the initial order. I did a recent PC rollout at the local DHL center and was impressed with their efficiency and package handling.

I look forward to being able to do more business with them instead of UPS.

Well you've got me worried now. I just ordered from Leisure Pro and they have shipped UPS International. I just hope it makes it to Japan with no problems!!

SubMariner:

Unfortunately, it's the law that a broker must be involved if the shipment is over a certain amount (usually about $100 Cdn). So no matter who you ship with, you will be required to pay a brokerage fee through the shipper unless you have arranged a broker yourself.

Also, unless it was proved that tax was paid at the time of purchase, good shipped into Canada must pay PST (Provincial Sales tax) and GST (Goods & Services Tax). In some provinces this combo can run as high as 15%.

And don't forget duty. However, thanks to Free Trade, there is no duty on goods mfged in Canada or the US for cross border shoppers.

So as much as I dislike UPS, they are not the only ganiffs out there. :devil:
UPS charged me $15.-Cdn(Taxes, duties and brockarage) for a 20.-$US T shirt I bought over eBay. Isn't that a rip off?

FedEx is the only shipper we use. "Brown" is called that because they only once and a while bother to take their head out of their a$$. DHL isnt much better. They had a package from dell for me that came in to Las Vegas on monday and they said they couldnt deliver till friday. Now the package was going to sit in their center for 5 days. I wasnt going to be home on friday. They wouldnt let me pick it up till friday. I called Dell. They got on the phone with DHL and got it all straightened out. They special delivered the package to me that night. A few days later I got another package from DHL. It was coupons to ship 2 packages anywhere in the US free. I packaged up their coupons in a overnight FedEx envelope and sent them back to FL with a note that........ well..... it wasnt very nice. It's the whole principle thing. Dont talk to me like crap on the phone when I am the "recepient" and then when the sender calls and raises cain with you, try to send me stuff. I was the customer. I paid Dell for the shipping. I work in a customer driven industry in Las Vegas. I look around and people have no idea what customer service is. If you want to see what "TRUE" customer service is go stay in a 5 Star 5 Diamond Hotel. Has anyone else noticed what I see in customer service? At any rate, we use FedEx. They take great care of us. (We have an account with them) AND..... if one of their planes crash..... their people will gather up all the floating packages and keep them on an island with them till they are rescued. Well..... unless of course there is a Volley Ball....:D

Well I don't know a lot about it but I feel obliged to report the following:
UPS International just delivered a package from Leisure Pro to my door in Kyushu, Japan. It took 36 hours from pick up in New York to get here. I consider that to be VERY fast! Also there were no extra charges at all. (nothing was broken either :wink: )

edit: I just thought - maybe they were watching this thread!!! :eyebrow:

aquaoren:
UPS charged me $15.-Cdn(Taxes, duties and brockarage) for a 20.-$US T shirt I bought over eBay. Isn't that a rip off?
Actually, I'd call you a sucker. First, you buy a $20 dollar t-shirt on eBay? Then, you must not have calculated the shipping cost before you bought it, or I'm assuming you wouldn't have paid that much for a couple of ounces of cotton to be shipped. Maybe it was the person you bought it from that was adding a little H to the S&H.

I bought a Halcyon Explorer wing from someone in Canada. Other than the long time it took to ship do to clearing customs, it only cost $15us to have it shipped down here via UPS. Did you ever think that maybe the taxes, duties, and brokerage has something to do with your government and not the company that carries it?

You guys really crack me up. You complain about UPS, FedEx, and DHL. You probably complain about the Chevy's, Ford's, and Chryslers you drive. Maybe you complain about the Levi's, Carhart, and other clothes you wear. Do Canandian's actually make anything, or do they just have it all shipped in using other countries shipping companies? About the only thing I don't hear you guys complain about is the beer, but oh wait, Molson is now going to be diluted with Coors! Oh the humanity!

mempilot:
Actually, I'd call you a sucker. First, you buy a $20 dollar t-shirt on eBay? Then, you must not have calculated the shipping cost before you bought it, or I'm assuming you wouldn't have paid that much for a couple of ounces of cotton to be shipped. Maybe it was the person you bought it from that was adding a little H to the S&H.

Er, before you blast this guy, you should be aware that UPS does not tell you the brokerage charge until the thing is at your door. You can calculate postage on their site (they'll charge $7-$8 for most T-shirt sized things from a US city to a Canadian one), but they don't even mention that there's a brokerage charge at all unless you read the giant bottom small-type paragraph.. and even then, they mention that there may be a "non-routine" brokerage charge.

They tried to charge me $45 for my drysuit. I never paid it, and never intend to. They didn't even ask me to pay it upon delivery (no doubt the driver's fault), but sent me a BILL two weeks later for $45.

Hah.

mempilot:

I bought a Halcyon Explorer wing from someone in Canada. Other than the long time it took to ship do to clearing customs, it only cost $15us to have it shipped down here via UPS. Did you ever think that maybe the taxes, duties, and brokerage has something to do with your government and not the company that carries it?

You guys really crack me up. You complain about UPS, FedEx, and DHL. You probably complain about the Chevy's, Ford's, and Chryslers you drive. Maybe you complain about the Levi's, Carhart, and other clothes you wear. Do Canandian's actually make anything, or do they just have it all shipped in using other countries shipping companies? About the only thing I don't hear you guys complain about is the beer, but oh wait, Molson is now going to be diluted with Coors! Oh the humanity!

First of all the UPS charges are hidden, at least they don't charge the brokerage up front. Fed ex does so I prefer to deal with them. That way I know how much I am going to spend before I commit to a purchase.
Second, Canadians make our own Chevys, Fords, and Chyslers. Besides that we make 2/3rds of all wheat you consume a large percentage of the lumber and electricity you use and lots of fresh water that you don't always pay for.
Third I don't think a business partnership between Molson and Coors will make American beer any more drinkable.

Maybe mempilot we should get off the politics and back to the scuba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom