What Color is the Ocean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivemasterDennis

DivemasterDennis
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This question is presented to those of you who have seen what is described below. There is a line in a Jimmy Buffet song that says "Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it." The location and conditions that have me stumped for descriptive words I have only seen twice. The first time was in Cozumel, on Columbia wall, about 100 feet down on a totally calm day, just before noon, with good sunlight penetration. The second time was on the back wall of Molokini crater off the coast of Maui, similar time of day and calm sea (very rare there). In each instance, looking away from the wall into the open sea, the color was indescribable, and visiblity was , no exaggeration, probably 150 feet or more. Some words come to mind- cobalt blue, lapus (gold flecked dark blue gemstone), azure- but none are adequate. The blue was luminous- like lapus it seemed to have a suggestion of gold or some shiny quality. But the depth of the color was like cobalt, but so much more alive. My wife/dive buddy Debbie was on the dives, the first as a relatively new diver, and she described turning away from the wall and looking out, and feeling almost compelled to swim into that indescribable beauty. I have had that feeling too, as if we were looking into earth's womb, or some other place of perfection. I am curious if any of my fellow scubaboarders have experienced this color for which there is no word, and whether you have made up a descriptive term for it. I have though of "infinity blue,"
"cobalt lapus," and "you had to be there blue," but someone must have done better. Anyway, not everything beautiful in the ocean is an animal or a coral or a plant. The ocean itself has a beauty that, when caught in the right light, is breathtaking.
DivemasterDennis

It's funny how somedays, you can run into the most stunning blues, followed by the oddest greens and then the mud browns - all at the same place. Have I seen the blues you've described? No, but definitely ran across some amazing colors in the short time I've been diving.

The ocean certainly has a life of it's own. You just never know what you'll get.

T My wife/dive buddy Debbie was on the dives, the first as a relatively new diver, and she described turning away from the wall and looking out, and feeling almost compelled to swim into that indescribable beauty. I have had that feeling too, as if we were looking into earth's womb, or some other place of perfection. I am curious if any of my fellow scubaboarders have experienced this color for which there is no word, and whether you have made up a descriptive term for it.
DivemasterDennis

Sounds like maybe you should call it "Siren blue". Having an "urge" or "compulsion" to swim into the depths like that could be quite scary as well as beautiful.

I agree, it's something that you have to see. I have no real words to describe it either. I use instruments that measure the optical pproperties of the water but that attaches a numeric value, which doesn't describe crap. The Ocean needs to be experienced.

Snot green is the norm for me I am afraid :)

I have seen Cobalt Blue water in Coz which was dazzling. I've seen deep blue with a hard line to emerald green in the keys where Molasses reef meets French. The emerald pool at Yellowstone is dazzling as is the water at Crater lake were it goes from hundreds of feet deep to thousands. Water often is beautiful and you don't have to be diving to be amazed.

Know just what you mean, and have no words. Coz dreaming gets me through many days, the thought of that blue, that sometimes makes me have to hold the reg in my mouth with my hand because I am grinning so much.... Siren blue is as good as any, I think. I am ever so grateful to my friend that encouraged me to take up diving and travelling to the Caribbean a couple years ago, .... ;-)

I'm taking Mason Jars with me the next time and swim out and scoop up the different colors.

(I've actually had someone ask me for jars so she could do that)

DSC_0064_2.jpg

I mean, she was pretty much-so perfect.

Back
Top Bottom