What color red filter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used color filters before, but stopped using them because they also absorb some light. Now I use post processing software. Adobe Photoshop for Photos and After effects for video. You can apply any filter you want and see what gives the best result.

I have Premiere Elements 10 for video, does it do the same correction as After Effects? Really don't want to buy yet another program.

Colour correction in editing is nowhere near what you can do getting right in the first place in water unless you have a camera like a black magic red or a canon DSLR with raw video.
Ideally you should white balance some cameras have a problem with that like the one the op seems to have, so a filter is the way forward it takes around 1 1/3 of an f/stop away.
As you shoot at relatively low shutter speeds of 1/50 or 1/60 or best case 1/100 1/125 if you are at double frame rate there is generally no issue especially on a micro 4/3 with base ISO at 200. You can check by yourself go in water at wide aperture (you don't shoot small apertures in video) set your shutter speed at 1/50 and base iso at 200 and see what ev value you get. In most cases unless is really dark it works just fine. Once you are at depth you can take the filter off and use the colour temperature setting pumping it up to the max. In post you can do fine tuning but not huge changes

For pictures obviously there is no point using a filter for a camera that shoots RAW

I don't know, but you can download a full working 30 day trial of adobe after effects.

This is my latest video with a sony RX100 and a red filter. The wreck goes down to 28 meters.
[youtubehq]vDsJaR2Crgs[/youtubehq]
I shoot quite a bit of video and depending on camera you use or not a filter. If you are stuck with the white balance error a filter is the way forward as the correction you can do in post are limited with the camera you have

What's wrong with setting custom white balance?

I don't find setting custom white balance does much after 30-40 feet? Is it just me or am I doing something wrong?

White balance works well at least down to 90 feet afterwards it works well within reason. In this video the Bianca C is at 120-140 feet this is with custom white on a panasonic lx7 [youtubehq]JWdwsPdBxqY[/youtubehq] for stills custom white balance is irrelevant but here we are talking video

Nice work - what do you use to set the custom white balance?

I've just been using a patch of sand at whatever depth I'm shooting. Should I use a white card instead?

White balance works well at least down to 90 feet afterwards it works well within reason. In this video the Bianca C is at 120-140 feet this is with custom white on a panasonic lx7 [youtubehq]JWdwsPdBxqY[/youtubehq] for stills custom white balance is irrelevant but here we are talking video

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom