What dive equipment to travel with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fdrcva42

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I plan on going from Pennsylvania to Bonaire/Roatan next year. I have rented the full package down at Cancun last year but have since been advised to take mask/snorkle, fins and boots with me since they are personally fit.
What else should I take?
Thanks for the info because I have never traveled with diving equipment. I have also been advised that some airlines do not charge for a bag with diving gear because they want the business. Yes/No?

I take everything-my regs, computer, camera, mask, fins, snorkle, bp/w,wet suit, smb, pony set up, lights, safety strobe, and anything else that I can find that will fit in my bag.
I would rather dive my own gear because I know its service history and condition.
On one vacation I even took weights with . The dive boat I was going out with charged $10.00 a day for lead. (its good to have kids with, they don't pack as much as I do.) I was able to put some items in their bags to spread out the weight.

Jim Breslin

I plan on going from Pennsylvania to Bonaire/Roatan next year. I have rented the full package down at Cancun last year but have since been advised to take mask/snorkel, fins and boots with me since they are personally fit.
What else should I take?
Thanks for the info because I have never traveled with diving equipment. I have also been advised that some airlines do not charge for a bag with diving gear because they want the business. Yes/No?

I take everything except cylinders and weights.

The following goes in a carry-on

BC (Aeris ATMOS XT - not a travel BC)
Mask
Snorkel
Dive Computer
Regulator
Passport & other important documents
UK SL4 eLED dive light and batteries
Misc small stuff

Everything else goes in checked baggage.

Like you I own my gear and I don't want to rely on rental equipment for my safety.
If I have to pay for an extra checked bag it is well worth it. Any cost of baggage will probably be offset by the rental cost of the equipment.

I never heard of an airline not charging for SCUBA gear, but some charge more for it. It gets stolen quite a bit more than other stuff, bringing me to my second suggestion: Take it carry on, or use regular luggage, without the "gone diving sticker".

That said, If you're comfortable with your personal gear, bring it. Who needs the "learning curve" of rental gear?

Personally, I bring everything but tanks and weights. To your list I would add, in order:

Wetsuit
Weightbelt - if you have one you favor.
Extra mask strap and fin straps (Start your save a dive Kit)
Computer (My reg and comp fit into my reg bag, which I carry on)
Regulator
BCD - It takes up quite a bit of room, so many leave it home

Enjoy the trip

I haven't found an airline yet that didn't charge for a bag carrying scuba gear, but anecdotally, some airlines treat scuba gear the same as golf clubs (i.e, "sporting equipment") and don't charge... or at least used to.

I've gotten fairly adept at getting my gear to wherever I happen to be travelling with 1 suitcase and 1 carry on. Usually packs something like this:

SUITCASE CARRY ON DUFFEL
fins, snorkel regulator, octo, SPG
wet suit, boots, gloves BP/W w/SMB, Mask
SL8 LED dive light SL4 LED dive light
reel, knife DC600 Kit
weightbelt, BC pouch w/strobe, passport & itinerary
scissors, mini-pocket mask light reading
clothes for trip, shaving kit
logbook

For the most part this has juggled all the stuff I'm bringing and stayed within the weight limits being imposed by the airlines. On my trip home from Tobago last month, Delta made me do some lst minute switching and battery removal but for the most part it's seemed to work. When given the choice, I'll always prefer to dive with my gear instead of using rental gear I'm unfamiliar with.

If I'm going to be using a 3mm wetsuit, I usually bring one. Otherwise, I'll rent a 7mm. I only bring a BCD about 50% of the time. I've never rented a BCD that has been anything but nearly new and in good working order. I always use my own regulator and computer, mask, fins, snorkel, booties and hood (if required). I rarely carry a knife while traveling. I bring my own safety sausage since those are rarely provided.

I always carry my regulator and computer on board, but have recently decided to carry gear that would be inconvenient to have to rent and some basic spare clothes on board. I will have to start practicing to see how much I can fit in a carry-on.

Now, those were some great suggestions. One guy did comment about packing his carry on and he mentioned having a knife. That might be frowned upon.
I dive wet with a 7mm Henderson. I have rented 3mm at Cancun. Can I safely assume I will need to rent 3mm suits at Bonaire/Roatan and that 7mm would be way toooooo much protection?
Thank you all in advance.

Now, those were some great suggestions. One guy did comment about packing his carry on and he mentioned having a knife. That might be frowned upon.
I dive wet with a 7mm Henderson. I have rented 3mm at Cancun. Can I safely assume I will need to rent 3mm suits at Bonaire/Roatan and that 7mm would be way toooooo much protection?
Thank you all in advance.

It depends how cold you get and how much diving you do and how quickly you get cold.
I dove in Bonaire with a 1 mm Neoprene dive skin.
My wife and daughter used their full 3/2 mm jump suit.

I haven't found an airline yet that didn't charge for a bag carrying scuba gear, but anecdotally, some airlines treat scuba gear the same as golf clubs (i.e, "sporting equipment") and don't charge... or at least used to.
There was a time when most European airlines did this (counted sports equipment - including scuba - as free excess). I think most have now stopped the practice; but AFIK, British Airways will still allow scuba gear and golf clubs in the hold for free. They are pretty much alone for that policy on this side of the pond (and I suspect worldwide). :(

I have never had a problem taking a fin bag (with mask, snorkel, etc.) as cabin baggage though. I suppose it is smaller than most of the massive cases you see a'holes dragging on board these days.

It gets stolen quite a bit more than other stuff

Absolute urban myth. It is way at the bottom.

Why? SCUBA gear is worthless when compared to stealing other, more easily hidden items. Rubber hoses and BC's don't stash well in a Ramp Worker's jumpsuit, much less in a TSA uniform. They have very little resale value.

Take your computer and camera on board in a soft sided bag. Leave the housing well packed in in your checked baggage.

As your travel horizons expand past the short hops into the Caribbean, this advice will make even more sense. Use your hand carry item space for stuff that you really need to have with you. Water, prescriptions (including a mask) and some more water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom