What do Commercial Divers think of Recreational Tech Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess the main difference between tech and commercial is support. Three things (besides profit motive, training and the activities performed underwater) distinguish these types of divers:

1. Umbillical air
2. Communications with the surface and other divers
3. Recompression chambers on board

Any one of these easily saves your ass from getting killed(Chowdhury covers these in the book)... So tech divers aren't really any more poorly trained, just kind of crazy for doing what they do without that kind of support, yes?

So, rebreathers are at the cutting edge of all future diving, whether commercial, or technical, or recreational?
Absolutely not, they are expensive & a buttpain to use. Try to imagine diving untethered in the Mississippi River during flood stage, or having to decon the thing after a soaking in raw sewage, or having to bury one because it got too crapped up (radioactive) from a dip in the can.
I doubt if they'd hold up very long soaking in oil, either.

Most commercial diving takes place where recreational diving would be considered insane! The art of groping with your hands in 2-inch vis, at the bottom of a hole, trying to make sure the anchor point for the bridge foundation is correctly secured. Is not my idea of diving for fun. Diving in raw sewage? Diving in radioactive enclosures? Living in a metal capsule, 150 feet below the surface during a saturation dive job, spending over a week in deco? Sure the pay is good, if you get work. But if anyone thinks there is any glamour of prestige to the job, they are simple-minded fools.

Trying to compare commercial diving and recreational/technical diving is just simply a non-starter. We might as well compare hockey to curling, sure both are played on the ice, but that’s where the comparison ends.

Bob3 once bubbled...
Absolutely not, they are expensive & a buttpain to use. Try to imagine diving untethered in the Mississippi River during flood stage, or having to decon the thing after a soaking in raw sewage, or having to bury one because it got too crapped up (radioactive) from a dip in the can.
I doubt if they'd hold up very long soaking in oil, either.
It sounds like a world away from rec / tech diving and it should be respected as such.

They pay me to dredge, search, recover, clean, inspect, repair, install, remove/replace, pump concrete, survey, measure, or any one of a long list of grunt work that is a pain to do on the surface.

Diving is just the way to get to the job site.

Personally I find some of these jobs to be fun.
Besides, here in Florida, working in the water means that I have a more comfortable place to work than most of the people working on site.
Tip, the water temp in an underground pipe is a lot nicer than the heat and humidity on the surface. Not to mention the reduced risk of sunburn.
:D

I have learned from your posts and the other com diverse to.
My question is after working under water do you dive for fun too?

Joe

I am getting away from the working dives and doing more fun dives now.

Rec diving got me into commercial and I got back into diving after a layoff by commercial diving and am now going back to mostly rec diving.

MechDiver once bubbled...

Agree totally with Burke. There were so many screwups the Rouses made that day to be unbelievable, starting with the fact that neither one of them wanted to make the dive in the first place. How you could read the book and come to any other conclusion is beyond me.

I agree that not wanting to do the dive in the first place isn't good....but their not wanting to do the dive had nothing to do with what caused the string of problems.

A file cabinet/bookshelf (can't remember exactly) fell on the younger one. It took them 20-30 minutes to get it off of him...which is why their planned bottom time was exceeded. They got confused...and went out the wrong way...so they couldn't find their deco tanks, and had to surface prematurely.

How does that have to do with not wanting to do the dive?

I don't think their accident in this case had anything with not wanting to do the dive - though feeling under the weather and unenthusiastic about diving could have intensified their narcosis and made it harder for them to find the tanks.

…an interesting question, & one I have ruminated over at length. Over time my opinion has changed considerably, this being a direct result of learning more about the many committed Tec./Rec. individuals and the processes involved in achieving their goals.

As someone who has participated in most commercial diving applications, save r.o.v. work ( I’m not the “sit on the surface and play with the joystick" type ), I feel confident in my ability to profer a realistic opinion on that side of the discussion. My knowledge of Tec./Rec. comes from reading about & speaking with those involved. Here are a few of my observations.

I feel motivation to be the main underlying difference of the two groups. Commercial divers are paid to travel to various u/w sites to perform work. A large part of every member of a commercial dive crews responsibility is to insure “the diver (s)” gets down and back as safely as possible. To this end, specific operational protocols & procedures were developed, over time, to address every aspect of manned u/w work. Governmental regulations specifying minimum operational standards are in place to insure a minimum level playing field for all participating contractors.

Much of the commercial divers time is spent insuring the diving system is ready to safely operate. These systems range from a basic surface air diving setup to vast saturation diving complexes. The work includes routine maintenance & repair of all system components ( air , gas, electrical, hydraulic, mechanical, pneumatic, electronic ) on a daily basis. There exists an apprenticeship of sorts . While not universal in application, the average new diver will spend their early years tending diver’s hose while learning the basics of working diving. In water experience is usually limited to air diving, doing the simpler ( read: labour-centered ) tasks of the job. Most importantly, a new diver must develop & sustain an attitude of professionalism in his/her work. New hands who cannot, or will not play by the rules of the game will not last. A seasoned, experienced commercial diver is a consumate professional; always willing to learn new things & constant in their approach to safe, productive diving operations. Bringing the commercial diver home safely is truly a team effort, where each person has a role to play.

In my view, the motivation of the Tec./Rec. diver is less specific. Many Tec. Divers need mixed gases to more safely pursue their interest, be it shipwrecks, cave systems or other exploratory ventures. Others are motivated by the desire for ever greater penetration of depth, be it for reasons of experiment, curiosity or fame. Still others do it because of peer pressure, or some misguided need to “prove” themselves. Whatever the motivation, the deep diving recreational diver is, by comparison with the commercial professional, very much on his/her own, despite the possible existence of a “buddy”. Thus survival is, for the Tec./Rec. diver, much more dependent on “self-reliance”. This reality is the basis for the protocols & procedures created by the reputable deep diving rec. training agencies. I am very impressed with the level of knowledge & training offered by these agencies. They have embraced the hard won knowledge of the Military-Industrial diving establishment & applied it to self-contained diving.

If anything, I would like to see the requirements for entry into this level of diving be stiffened. Such specialized pursuits should only be available to those with a solid background of diving experience, and who, more importantly, possess the necessary personality traits to safely pursue such a self-reliant activity. Such traits include self-discipline, diligence, procedural aptitude & professional attitude.

I’ve met Tec./Rec. divers who I feel would make excellent working divers. I also know commercial divers who enjoy the freedom of self-contained deep diving. The two pursuits are not mutually exclusive. Both activities demand a professional, disciplined approach if the participants are to return safely. In commercial diving, the weeding of unsuitable individuals begins at dive school & continues in the field by way of peer evaluation. Working divers are further advantaged by legislation. The Rec./Tec. Diver relys on agency training, some degree of peer evaluation, and most importantly, their own personal honesty with regards to self- assessment / self-knowledge. Each can learn from the other. Each should support one another in the safe pursuit of diving activity.

Respectfully,
D.S.D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom