What do I need to dive in Europe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to be going to Europe in a little under two weeks, and I really want to check out some of the wrecks over there, specifically in France. What kind of certification do I need? I've only been diving in Mexico so I've never taken any formal training courses. Would it be something I could do in a couple days here in Cali? Do I have even need a certification? Thanks a lot!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Western Europe.

To dive here you need a certification.

Which part of France ? Water conditions in Northern France will be very different to those of the South.

Hi, I'm going to be going to Europe in a little under two weeks, and I really want to check out some of the wrecks over there, specifically in France. What kind of certification do I need? I've only been diving in Mexico so I've never taken any formal training courses. Would it be something I could do in a couple days here in Cali? Do I have even need a certification? Thanks a lot!

Hi, yes you do need certification. In Europe overall the most instantly recognized certifications are PADI, CMAS, SSI ans ACUC in that order. Unfortunately NAUI, NASE and others are not widely introduced on a paneuropean basis at this time.

As is often the case, the UK does its own thing and most UK divers are BSAC and therefore BSAC is known anywhere the Brits go.

In France, specifically, CMAS certifications are more recognized than others. To wreck dive you will probably be asked to have a CMAS two star or PADI AOW certification as a minimum.

I suggest that you get PADI OWD certified or get your CMAS one star from the local national diving federation where you are now and then when in France do an AOW or Wreck diving specialty or the French CMAS equivalent so that you can see the wrecks and get qualified at the same time.

Wreck diving requires specific training and skills. It can be dangerous if not done properly.

The French take diving seriously (after all if hadn't been for Cousteau....) so I would expect you to be in good hands. Ask for advice on with whom to dive with in France here on SB, anyway.

Unfortunately, the most interresting wrecks here are quite deep, below 40 m ( 120 ft).
Never mind, there are wrecks everywhere and many of them on 20 m (60 ft).

What is your diving experience ? Did you dive a lot in Mexico ?
If you dive on your own, you don't need any cert in France, but you have to check first with your insurance if this is an issue.
This is the advice I give to the high experience divers, it doesn't seems to be your case ?

So, if you're a beginer, you should go for an OWD course, or an AOW if it's possible.
When you will be in France, you will have to select the PADI dive centers and avoid the exclusive cmas that are quite rare if you go to the Mediteranean.

Anyway, you're welcome.
Could you tell me the places you go ? I'd be able to give you better advices.

To visit interesting wrecks below 130 feet in France, a certification CMAS*** is only accepted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom