What do you carry your camera gear in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richard65

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have an Olympus E-Pl5, Olympus pt-ep10, twin UFL-2 strobes and I am hoping to get a dome port and extra lenses. My issue is how to transport the stuff, can anyone recommend a rucksack that can be taken on airplanes as hand luggage

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i use a lowepro back pac thingy. not sure of the model# (since it is not labelled and I want to buy an slightly bigger one so I am a bit pissed at the moment, that will pass after several more beers...) but i carry 2 strobes, batteries, charger, wide angle lens, 3 p&s cameras & bodies and a bunch of (clean) underwear. All in a very small compact size much much smaller than the standard legal carry on size. It is only 6 inched high.

I think the breaking point is DSLR housing vs P&S housing.

I suggest you check both the "maximum" allowed carry on size limits as well as the "commuter plane" storage bin sizes. You can carry it on, but it will not fit in the plane. Sky check is your friend! Maybe?

My lowepro fits the commuter bins but is only about 6 inches high which is much much smaller than the commercial carry-on limit. I get to stow my stuff on every plane, while lots of people have to "sky-check" their fragile valuables.

Check the plane types you may be flying in. The "industry" has a standard carry on size (9x15.5x21.5in according to Air Canuk) but the overhead bins in many small commuter planes are much smaller.

I brought my full camera setup to the local, well-stocked camera store and tried out their selection of camera backpacks until I found the one that would work the best.

The AO coolers to be specific. The 24 can size is carry-on size. I used one on my last trip. It was a little dicey leaving Seattle on EVA as they have a 7 kilo or 15lb carry-on limit. I was at 18lbs for my cooler but they asked if it was electronics and I quickly nodded my head. I had my Nauticam OMD EM5 housing, 12-50mm port, two Inon z240 strobes, arms and tray in the bag. The rest of my camera gear was in a crumpler insert in a backpack with a lot of other stuff also approaching 15+lbs. I had my camera vest some heavy items in it too.

AO Coolers: FISHING COOLERS

Another option would be a Nanuk hard case 935 carry on size when they get stubborn about the weight limit. Of course it is 11.3lbs starting out.

Protective Equipment Cases and Transportable Instrument Cases ? Nanuk

I'm looking at a dome port as well and I'm not sure how that will work. I would hate to check the gear on and with the method above I end up putting my regulator in my single check-on bag. It all depends on how you get where ever you're going. It may even be worth looking at getting a economy plus ticket with some airlines as that often comes with additional baggage allowances.

Last edited:
think tank - airport international - worth every penny

+ 24pack cooler for when i am diving, very very convenient.

I use a Pelican 1510 which is their largest carry-on size. It holds an Aquatica housing (with D7000 inside), two DS 161s, three lenses, a viewfinder, macro port and extension tube, sync chords, strobe and battery chargers and arms. It's REALLY full, and WAY over-weight, but I've gotten pretty good at sneaking it past check in. I've never been challenged but if I am, at least I know that I can check the thing and know my stuff is safe.

Pelican Products 1510 Carry On Case

I'm looking at a backpack solution such as this: https://shop.fstopgear.com/us/products/mountain/backpacks/loka.html#.UvJDwvblfIs since it "looks" lighter and still meets carry-on specs. I'm resisting only because I can't see it in a store and it's pricey. And as I said, so-far, so-good, with the Peiican case.

Travel, check baggage - Pelican 1510

Over the years I've become a less is more camera gear traveler.

Think Tank Airport Accelerator. image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 384

Back
Top Bottom