what do you consider an advanced dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To my concern, an advanced dive is one that can push the limits of recreational diving, or it can be one that pushes the limits of a recreational diver ... and the same site can be advanced or not depending on timing and conditions.

Agreed, and many other posters have cited factors contributing to difficulty. I'll come at the issue from a couple of different angles.

First off, the term Advanced is relative; to whom is it 'advanced?'

The designation 'Advanced' is often a rating used to warn fairly new OW divers that a site is fairly likely to be beyond their comfort zone and apt to present conditions unsafe for them.

We could really muddy the waters on your topic by pointing out that sites are often designated Beginner, Intermediate or Advanced, and that your discussion is more based on Beginner vs. Advanced, it seems.

I think public rating systems (e.g.: ratings on shore dives in Bonaire) assume a mainstream average (or somewhat below) OW student with maybe a few ocean dives, ready for warm water, high viz., minimal current, depths either under 60 feet or where it's easy to stay above that, what some people call 'aquarium conditions.'

Victor brought this up a bit in his post; the consequences of a problem also matter. Shore diving Bonaire, once in awhile you may get some current parallel to shore. Whoop-de-doo in most places; you might exit a hundred yards down stream. But if ocean diving, and you surface that much farther from a privately owned boat in 3 foot seas with no SMB and the guy on the boat doesn't know what to do, well...

In that case, Advanced = Significantly likely to be risky to beginners.

The Advanced Rating is also used to mean 'more than Intermediate,' which is murkier. I know some sites in Cozumel are deemed advanced. If I were going to one, I'd probably expect stronger current, deeper average depth and possibility of shifts in current. I'd probably do that dive.

On the other hand, one of my old instructors did a Galapagos trip and described the diving in a trip report. If memory serves, cold water, fairly strong current, negative entry, reef hook, substantial exposure protection...I get the feeling you better have your ducks in a row if you plan to dive Wolf and Darwin. I would not try that at this stage in my diving, and maybe never.

To me, any dive requiring Technical diving training to perform properly is advanced from a recreational perspective.

Penetration dives, aside from the more benign guide-led swim-throughs, are advanced - in fact, overhead diving in general.

A dive, like some wrecks, requiring you to dive & spend significant time at over 80 feet deep in order to accomplish the objective (e.g.: to see sand tiger sharks on a wreck off North Carolina) is well on its way to being advanced (due to air consumption, and the inadvisability of CESA); add cold water requiring exposure protection and dangerous exits due to boat ladder drama, and I might call that advanced.

Richard.

I see the term tossed around a bit, and I think it means different things to different people. To my concern, an advanced dive is one that can push the limits of recreational diving, or it can be one that pushes the limits of a recreational diver ... and the same site can be advanced or not depending on timing and conditions.
Totally agreed.
Too many variable factors can turn a simple dive to something completely different eg. buddy, current, dive guide, familarity of the site, physical fitness etc.
I normally treat anything deeper than 30m or any drift dive as advanced. Drift dive can be too dangerous without local knowleadge.

Advanced in comparison to what? A rec diver and a tech diver will call different dives "advanced".

Sent from my GT-S7710 using Tapatalk

My definition of an advanced dive will fit all levels of divers.

An advanced dive is any dive that is towards the upper end (or beyond) of your training, your comfort level, or your abilities.

Each diver may very well have different "advanced levels" from one day to the next even if it is the same dive site.

I consider any of the following elements to be contributing factors or be a single factor to make a dive advanced

Night
Depth
Current
Entry
Exit
Navigation
Visibility
Overhead
Temperature
Surface conditions
Weather

An advanced dive is anything that "I" do not "competently" perform regularly. So this will vary for every diver. My personal level of competency is fairly low. And I am very happy with that.

I have many hundreds of dives, but most are repeats of the same conditions. So I really have only done about 10 different dives.

The question targeted to an average diver will likely reveal:

- any dive with current
- any dive that is cold (below 82F)
- low viz (includes night)
- any dive requiring special equipment
- any dive requiring equipment i am not familiar with

All of these require special skills.

where special equipment =
- dry suit
- chain saw (damn ice divers!)
- more than 1 tank

I am frequently amazed that they are able to train OW divers at La Jolla shores. That is actually not such an easy dive. The water is cold, vis can be pretty poor and the surf can be pretty dicey. I got rolled into the sand there on a couple of occasions. That's not a Bonaire shore dive, by any stretch!
It really amazes me that instructors take students there for their very first dive. I mean, I could understand cold and poor vis. But then you add surf entry and you have a pretty tricky dive. Plus, you also have the canyon, which adds a factor of almost unlimited depth if the divers get out that far.
I realize its pretty much the only place to train in San Diego without a boat or a trip to Catalina but, a trip to Catalina isn't much harder than our trip to Lake Pleasant, plus the cost of the ferry.
Could be that I've just hit the shores on extra high surf days and it's incredibly easy on other days I guess.

Personally, I think that an 'advanced' dive is categorized by the specific diver's approach to the dive. Whether they identify, possess and utilize the appropriate skills, drills, protocols and equipment to effectively mitigate whatever risks are inherent with that dive, on that day.

Is there anything 'advanced' about a gaggle of divers blundering into a shipweck with no guideline? Is it 'advanced' to bounce dive to 160ft on a single cylinder with no planning? etc etc etc

In comparison, couldn't a sidemount diver enjoying a 80ft reef dive, with well developed situational awareness and ability to cope with task loading; who has planned his dive profile and gas in detail..and explicitly intends to follow those plans.. be considered 'advanced' diving?

A dive is only as difficult and dangerous as you allow it to become. Any dive which a given diver is truly competent to undertake will never be considered by them to be an 'advanced' dive. That applies to any level of diver.

DevonDiver:

I suppose it's a matter of semantics, but it sounds like you are describing a dangerous (or perhaps foolish) dive more so than an advanced dive.

Usually dives are referred to as advanced to warn potential divers about them. Your definition is so individualistic that I'm not sure what utility it would have in rating dive sites.

Richard.

I suppose it's a matter of semantics, but it sounds like you are describing a dangerous (or perhaps foolish) dive more so than an advanced dive.

Not really. As mentioned, I am describing mindset/attitude/approach to the dive.

Any given dive is neither dangerous or safe. The diver's approach is what dictates that. Likewise, a given dive is neither advanced or basic or easy or hard etc... That reference is entirely dependent on the perspective of the diver concerned.

Usually dives are referred to as advanced to warn potential divers about them. Your definition is so individualistic that I'm not sure what utility it would have in rating dive sites.

Rating dive sides means nothing and has, as far as I have seen across the globe, been entirely ineffective in guiding divers towards appropriate site selection or approach to the dives they have undertaken...

Calling a site "advanced" means very little. There has to be an inherent connection with the skills, drills, protocols, equipment and attitude applied to diving there. That is an individual thing.

I've seen wreck sites labelled as 'advanced' - and yet that definition only led to AOW cards and/or log books being produced by customer/divers. They were still herd-led through the wreck on single-tanks, with no planning, specific training or procedures applied. Was that an 'advanced dive'? No... not in any way.

If it were an 'advanced dive site', then why did that have no impact on the approach applied to diving it?

If an advanced dive site requires an advanced diving approach, then it is the approach that matters.

How can you generalize an approach to fit any dive above a set level? How do you decide that level? It's impossible...

Labeling sites is irrelevant for practical purposes. Defining the qualities and approach necessary to dive any given site for optimum safety is far more relevant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom