What do you do to improve your awareness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The instructor who impressed adobo with this global awareness was a cave diving instructor, I believe.

I dove with one of his partners when we were there in March, and I, too, was utterly blown away by the man's seemingly eidetic memory of the dive. As I said, I'm working very hard on gaining a toehold on that kind of "recording' ability.

Nothing new but I'll say a lot of dives and effort.

Experience goes a long way. As a new diver you are heavily tasked just diving. I know my first dives were a blur and while I was having the time of my life there were plenty of things I never noticed. This extended to the sights others were noticing and to the buddy situation. Early on you just don't have that much available bandwidth. Once certain things become automatic and you have built some real confidence you can spread your attention around and see more while being a better buddy.

The other thing is intentional attention. While I always want to be an attentive buddy the buddy awareness goes up when I'm with a much newer diver, a diver doing something that is new for them or when diving with my wife. Until you are experienced you don't have that much attention to spread around but it comes with time.

If you take it past the buddy to the dynamics of the site experience is a big factor, as is study. Knowing when not to try a surf entry or recognizing a current you have wandered into are things you learn over time one way or another.

Pete

TSandM:
The instructor who impressed adobo with this global awareness was a cave diving instructor, I believe.

I dove with one of his partners when we were there in March, and I, too, was utterly blown away by the man's seemingly eidetic memory of the dive. As I said, I'm working very hard on gaining a toehold on that kind of "recording' ability.

I hear you!

One frequent buddy is real good at noticing that special rock that marks the opening of the cove as an example. Often to me it's "a rock" and could just as well be 1 in a 1,000,000.

Pete

As a buddy team,During your dive take a look at things around you. Make mental/written notes of them. As you do this, check your time and air status at each place of note - have your buddy do the same. When you surface ask your buddy what they noticed at each moment you asked them to check their air and time status in addition to the gauge readings. Before you know it they will do the same to you and your memory of the dive and awareness will develope.

Thanks, Rick! I will immediately start doing that.

Adobo:
What do you practice?
You would practice focusing on specifics. When you look at your buddy, look FOR something, not just look AT them. For instance, look to make sure he has all his gear in the correct position. Play games where you make something askew and see if you can find it. Start small and work up to wider areas of observation. Rick pretty much said it, it's intentional and a habit you develop through practice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom