What do you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I'd go to the bottom, try to find a big rock to get next to and try not to look like a sea lion as much as possible, if that doesn't work, take out my knife, find my buddy... :D =-) :D

I saw that same advice given and used by a guy on TV. I think it was during shark week and they did a part on this guy who dove with great whites on a regular basis with and with out cages. I don't think I would test fate but they showed him swim from the cage in open water and confront a great white face to face. The shark approached to approx 10 ft then swam off. I don't think I would want to test this but I have also seen this same advice given and used on another TV show with smaller sharks as well.

Walter appears to be giving good sound advice as always

geek

Yeah, I've heard that GeekDiver, but whether it's sound advice or not, and it might be, isn't the point.

I watched some Discovery channel show a couple years back. This nut job left his cage and swam with the shark. When the shark would approach, the diver swam straight at it and the shark retreated. I have no idea if it would work with other species.
Only drawback is GW's usually are hauling a$$ from the rear and below on attack and the prey never even see it coming. If you see it you are not considered edible, yet!

Dave

If I saw a great anything, I would hope that it didn't see me because any of my buddies can swim faster than me. :wacko:

I know Walter very well. He would do exactly what he said. Me, well, depending on who my dive buddy is, I might do exactly what I said.

Depth Gauge,

"I was wondering what you would do, not what you think we should do."

While we are never sure what we will do in a given situation until we've faced it, I believe they are the same.

"Yeah, I've heard that GeekDiver, but whether it's sound advice or not, and it might be, isn't the point."

What is the point? I seemed have missed it as well.

frogxman,

"I am curious - is this a real advice? Aren't you joking? Have you tried that before?"

If a Great White wants to eat you and you are in the water, you are very likely dinner. I am not joking. All the evidence I've seen leads me to believe this is the correct approach to lessen my chances of becoming dinner. This is my plan in such an event. It may get me eaten, but I believe it to be my best chance for survival. I have never tried it with Whites, but I have tried various methods with other sharks. This method has kept other species at the greatest distance. Swimming away, they sometimes follow. Remaining motionless, they often approach quite (within arm's length) closely. Swimming towards them they've always (so far) turned and swam away. Others have tried this method with Whites. It has worked for them.

I certainly wouldn't knowingly put myself in such a situation.

Sigh............................., just trying to have an intersting fun thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom