What do you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, can not brag about scaring away Great White, but tried to do that with a nurse shark. And what - it ignored me. Was probably sleeping. What a disappointment!:(

I could only hope that the brown cloud around me would act as camouflage and hide me.

Kind of like the ink from an octopus.

Hey, a new use for the warhammer maneuver!

Mike D

In shark infested waters, dive with UP and Walter...so that if a Brave & Hungry shark is encountered, he will be so tired of munchin' on camel hide, tanks, and fighting with the Old Man of the Sea to notice me swimming at warp speed back to the boat (I bet I could get 20 yards per backkick in that scenario, ok 10, right 2 if I'm lucky!)

So if I had my wits about me, I'd be pretending to be a rock & have my knife out to feed him his own eye if I got the chance. My waters are cold but it doesn't look at me as lunch.

Walter, you've got bigger ones than me. I've run in New Brunswick NJ and Washington DC at dawn (on the roadways where it was safe! No bushwack running trails for me) but I knew I could outrun anything but a bullet and there weren't many cars to worry about. Lincoln Monument is impressive when you get a solo view, sort of a Rocky Balboa Kodak moment - I wish they wouldn't lock the washrooms at the base though. Sorry I digress. I know I can't outswim a Great White - cold shiver went up my back - must be the snow outside, yea that's it....

Have you guys seen the show "What were they thinking?" where a lady climbed the TWO fences of the polar bear enclosure and put her hand into the cage? Right or wrong that's all I can think about when I hear of divers chummin' the water to have a shark encounter. (UP/Walter - I'm not suggesting you are part of that scenario...)

I have to agree with Walter and UP, swimming at them is a fairly good option but would be my last choice. First I would prolly signal my buddy 'shark', than would swim along bottom to exit point, in a CONTROLLED manner. Sharks are like almost every other hunting animal, they take out the weak and old first. So if you don't act weak and old (aka panicked) they will most likely not bother with you. I would keep my knife in my hand.

As a digression, I've watched a show on Discovery (gotta love Discovery) about a guy who got within 10 ft of lions in the sahara... he just got out his jeep and walked on over.
Question: where do people like the lion guy get these ideas from? I can appreciate an animal such as that just as much when I'm in a jeep 100 ft away using my binocs!! :D

Radagalf

Hey Radagalf-

Those people are like the parent's of the kids you hear about in Yellowstone every couple of years who get gored by the buffalo 'cause Mom wanted a picture of Ralphy with the cute critter......

radagalf once bubbled...
I have to agree with Walter and UP, swimming at them is a fairly good option but would be my last choice.
Well, I haven't tried this with GWS... just a pack of dogs.

Buddy and I dropped into a swarm of 4' dogfish and as soon as I swam towards them they bugged out.

Works with the neighbor's dogs too.

In my experience, almost any animal that is accustomed to being the predator/aggressor gets a bit of a shock when it is suddenly a potential prey.

I had a freind that had a huskie that had a habit of being aggresive and nipping at people all the time.

One day I got tired of it and literally jumped on him, and bit his ear pretty hard. It confused and scared the bejesus out of him. He never messed with me again.

Not that I'd want to try my philosophy against an approaching Great White...but, hey...the alternative ain't exactly a viable option either!

I once inadvertently got got between a cow Moose & her calf while fishin. Honestly? That had me more worried than anything I can remember.

Depth Gauge,

We all like fun threads, but being in the water with a White doesn't sound like fun. Have you considered a fun topic? Sounded like a serious question.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
...or a bear & her cub... neither are good candidates for the scare tactic.

Couldn't out run either of them when I was 18!

I just quietly started a path at a 90 deg angle to the line between them.

I think the only reason I got away was becasue it was on the fringes of a well visited National Park, and the animals are at least soemwhat used to seeing people.

Still not a comfrotable situatio to have been in.

Back
Top Bottom