What do you look for in a dive training site?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have one very nice facility that we have access to.

It was built for the World Police and Fire Games held in Calgary in 1997. The facilities were set up for the Games during the construction of a man-made “community” lake.

The facilities were used as part of competition for police and fire dive teams. The Community Association that owns the lake and facility allows shops to use that facility for teaching (with a fee).

The facility consists of:

A gravel pad approximately 150 x 50 feet;

17 “navigation” markers imbedded in the bottom. Each marker is concrete, approximately 2 x 2 feet and numbered; and,

8 “structures” made up of up to three concrete culvert sections approximately 6 to 8 feet in diameter. The structures are arranged in various configurations from a single culvert pointing vertical, three in a row laid out horizontally, to three lying horizontal in a “spoke” pattern.

The gravel pad has 7 navigation points on it, which makes it an ideal training area. There can be multiple classes at the site, with plenty of room. Floats can be readily attached to the navigation points as they were formed with attachment points built in.

The structures make great features when you take students on tours. The navigation markers are handy for staff to figure out where they in the lake are and also make for a nice navigation challenge.

You can travel over 1000 feet going from all the navigation points between 1 and 17.

A trip to each of the 8 structures will have you travel approximately 650 feet in total.

Unfortunately the lake is shallow, at most 25 feet. It is what it is.

Away from the gravel pad the lake bottom is silty, so buoyancy control and “good” fining techniques are a must. Some of the structures come within 15 feet of the surface, and so are great for working on controlling buoyancy.

The lake is located in the south part of town, about a 45 minute drive from the shop that I teach through.

We have 3 sites that are normally used. The shape of the bay regarding wind directions (for possible rough surf) is a deciding factor on which to use. All sites meet minimum depth required. 2 have training blocks for the float, the 3rd we use a screw-in device to go in the sand. One has picnic tables. None have "facilities", so you $hi^ behind the rocks and piss in your wetsuit. BUT, plenty of parking that's FREE. And no boats around.

Take a trip out to PA and visit Dutch Springs. They have done a lot of what you're thinking about and would be handy for you to see it in action.

I like the concrete cylinders for a nav course. Do you know what the diameter is?

---------- Post added September 11th, 2014 at 08:46 PM ----------

I have been looking at Dutch springs. There is also merrimt springs in southern il and another in Iowa.
Take a trip out to PA and visit Dutch Springs. They have done a lot of what you're thinking about and would be handy for you to see it in action.

I like the concrete cylinders for a nav course. Do you know what the diameter is?...

If the question was directed to me:

17 “navigation” markers imbedded in the bottom. Each marker is concrete, approximately 2 x 2 feet and numbered; and,

8 “structures” made up of up to three concrete culvert sections approximately 6 to 8 feet in diameter...

concrete_culvert_small_1.jpg

I was thinking about sinking some old shipping containers for simulated cavern training.

---------- Post added September 12th, 2014 at 08:45 PM ----------

Thanks for all of the ideas guys great input... I have another question. Some of the build out will take some time and capital. I plan on promoting to dive shops and clubs. But to raise capital I have been contemplating for the first year offer an unlimited diving to shops and instructors. Basically there would be little or no services yet. Parking, platforms and buoy but no rentals yet not air fills yet etc. The members would receive a key to the gate and could bring as many students as you would want. A small dive shop if they do 8 classes a year with 6 students in each class they would spend $2k in a year in entry's.

The first thing after platforms and buoy would be the air compressor and 2nd year we could be open weekends all day and continue to reinvest in new facilities and amenities.

Any ideas ?

Reactions: Doc
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom