What do you put in your dive log you wouldn't want anyone to see?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My daughter illustrates her log, usually with the goofy stuff the rest of us have done.....when my wife was learning to run a wreck reel my daughter and I yagged along behind the class and took photos and snickered, the illustrations of my wife and her partner wrapped up was hysterical; they so snarled the reel that the instructor gave up on unsnarling it, he asked for my reel and left me to undo the snarl and continued on

I did a bunch of specialty cert. dives over last weekend in a class of two. The major part of the weekend was UW Navigation.

EVERY SINGLE TIME my classmate led, we ended up doing a free ascent (great practice) and a long surface swim back to the boat. I duly noted each such event in my dive log.

After our last dive, she asked to look at my dive log to get the names of the divesites we had been at and I said "sure" without giving it a thought, as I was pre-occupied in getting out of my freezing wetsuit and into some nice warm sweats.

When she said "gee, you sure put a lot of details into your log book," I tried really hard to remember if I'd gone beyond the simple facts and mentioned my increasing level of frustration with her incompetence. I couldn't tell if she was offended, so I was relieved when I got a chance to review my log entries after she'd left. They weren't THAT bad!

I don't get embarrassed easily so don't really care if people read my log, whatever I put in it :p Struggling to think of anything that could happen whilst diving that would embarrass me if someone read it though I am still relativity new to diving so we'll see :)

There's a link to it in my sig anyway, so can't be too embarrassed :D

It is funny reading some of the comments here though, so thanks for sharing~~

In general (yes, I know ... there are exceptions) ... guys write statistics in their log book ... gals write stories, often with accompanying diagrams, stickers and other forms of visual aids.

Oh, crap, I guess I've got a female logbook then.

About the only thing I wouldn't want to share is some of the impressions I write down of other divers. I put them in there for my reference so I can tell who I would dive with on XYZ dive, and I'm pretty blatant about my take on their skill level. I don't do it to badmouth them, but if they read it, they would probably take it that way...

Tom

One of mine refers to 2 turtles getting it on...does that count? Hey it is something you don't see everyday!

In one of the posts here, someone wondered what happened to the resorts, dive shops, etc., checking logs for experience. It got me thinking that if anyone requested to check my dive log, I'd die of embarrassment. Sure, I put the usual stuff in there about the dive (depth, water temp, etc.) but when it comes to writing about the dive, it always entails stuff like: (blank) had a big piece of ear wax sticking out of his ear, or I stipped down and was going to jump in the water after the bag of brats thrown by the other boat but (blank) beat me to it. Usually it's about things that I found entertaining - "chased husband with a dead fish on wreck, he wasn't too thrilled" (hates dead fish). See where I'm going with this. If anyone read my log book they'd think I'm a little off!!! Am I the only one???
I definetly would want to read your dive log before diving with you. Not to know your experience level or cockups or anything, but to know what I have to prepare for and how much air I need to reserver for rolling on the bottomn laughing out loud (to the extent thats possible on the bottomn) :rofl3:

I havent put anything sensitive in my log yet, havent asked to read anyones log yet, but if someone wanted to read mine, go ahead. If there was "sensitive" information in there Id warn them about it first though, so they where prepared :p

My wife fills out the log books, her handwriting is much better than mine.

mine is written in Drag Net fasion....just the facts. If I wrote the things that actually happened, they wouldnt let me on the boat.:lotsalove:

I don't keep a written logbook, just two electronic ones. Nothing in either one that people couldn't see... in fact, one of them is on my web site so people can check local conditions (temp, etc.) by logging on. I use my video camera to record the really interesting stuff... from unusual marine life to lovely lady go divers doing their 100th dive the correct way!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom