Votes: 16 27.1%
  • Scuba diving is not a verb. Say "went scuba diving"

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Who cares? Divers don't need grammar.

Votes: 15 25.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Websters also has either dived or dove as being correct. I didn't know that. It looks like both Scubydoo and I learned something today. :wink: BTW, if you conjugate the verb to "swim" as swim swam and swum, how to you conjugate the verb to "dim"? :rolleyes: Just currious.

The past tense of Dive is "crying"... as in "Boo Hoo, I can't dive anymore..."

Ty

Originally posted by landlocked
Websters also has either dived or dove as being correct. I didn't know that. It looks like both Scubydoo and I learned something today

I said "dove" was right didnt I? Now that I think about it, I supposed "dived" could be used too. It just sounds funny. :)

Would you say "I flew to Bonaire" or "I flied to Bonaire"?
Same situation with dove and dived.

That's only because you're not used to it...

If you grew up and everyone around said it that way, it would sound perfectly natural.

"He stop in dog excrement and became so irate he spited!"

Kinda helps give you an inkling of an idea of why it's so hard to read old english documents, don't it?

Present Tense
I dive
You dive
We dive

Past Tense
I drink
You drink
We drink
Numerous Sol, Tecate, Coors, Icehouse, Bud. Take your choice.
What do you think?

swim swam swum
dive dove dumb

As in should have stayed in the water.

Dive, which was orig. a weak verb, developed a past tense dove, prob. by analogy with verbs like drive, drove. Dove exists in some British dialects and has become the standard past tense esp. in speech in some parts of Canada. In the U.S. dived and dove are both widespread in speech as past tense and past participle, with dove less common than dived in the south Midland area, and dived less common than dove in the Northern and north Midland areas. In writing, the past tense dived is usual in British English and somewhat more common in American English. Dove seems relatively rare as a past participle in writing.

Someone actually had the TIME to go and research the origin of the past tense version of dive!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom