What do you think about 3 d printed coral reefs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I am impressed with Cousteau's involvement, and I sincerely hope that I am completely wrong about the 3D printed reef's effectiveness, I notice that I can't find anything referring to the success of the only existing 3D printed reef already deployed.

The article linked above references Bahrain, and in researching a little more, it sounds like they printed a single coral structure made of sandstone, and deployed it among several hundred other sandstone pieces. I can't find any literature or documentation that it has attracted or grown any coral since 2012.

The premise is great, "if we make it look like an established reef it will attract other coral, fish, inverts, etc." and I suspect that it will attract fish and other life, I'm just not so sure it's going to attract coral in any more rapid or successful fashion than dropping a $4 cinder block would.

While I am impressed with Cousteau's involvement, and I sincerely hope that I am completely wrong about the 3D printed reef's effectiveness, I notice that I can't find anything referring to the success of the only existing 3D printed reef already deployed.

The article linked above references Bahrain, and in researching a little more, it sounds like they printed a single coral structure made of sandstone, and deployed it among several hundred other sandstone pieces. I can't find any literature or documentation that it has attracted or grown any coral since 2012.

The premise is great, "if we make it look like an established reef it will attract other coral, fish, inverts, etc." and I suspect that it will attract fish and other life, I'm just not so sure it's going to attract coral in any more rapid or successful fashion than dropping a $4 cinder block would.

Yeah its not quite clear of its effectiveness yet. I can only gather that the results are not yet really known, and more time has to be spent to draw a conclusion on to what is actually happening. I guess we will just have to wait a while.

Frank G

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom