What does ScubaBoard mean to you, and has the forum changed your diving?

What does Scuba Board mean to you, and has the forum changed your diving?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you see as the most important use of Scuba Board, for yourself, and if it has changed your diving in any way, how has it done so?

This has grown out of a series of discussions I have participated in recently on various threads, and those threads got me to thinking it would be interesting to open the discussion to anyone and everyone.

I know for myself my reason for using ScubaBoard forums has changed a lot since I first stumbled across the site in '05, researching a family vacation. At first all I saw was a good source to read reviews of destinations, resorts, dive ops, gear, etc, by other divers, rather than reading reviews in the traditional magazines where the motive of the reviews was so obviously motivated by profit.

But, while I first discovered SB when I was doing an internet search for a place to take my two kids on their first dive trip, and I was simply reading SB posts as if they were another form of travel magazine, instead I was introduced to some great new friends when Deputy Dan and Herman invited us to join them and their families for a memorable trip to Bonaire!
They were just the first of many great friends I have met and dived with threw this forum!

I gradually began to post myself, and threw those posts I have come to know a great many folks who I enjoy discussing diving and non diving subjects with, and many of whom I have had the chance to meet and dive with, and many others I am looking forward to doing so with in time.
It was through the sub forum, DNY that I first began to explore differing techniques and agencies, and suddenly my horizons began to expand exponentially. My diving has evolved substantially because of my exposure to so many SB members I that I have met and dived with. I have tried techniques that I never would have considered before, gone to sites I never dreamed of, and met new friends I cherish, all because of my SB posting.

Questions as I stumbled along, trying to do me first U/W photos brought helpful suggestions from folks like ScubaSteve and DandyDon. I had discovered another great use for the forums.
Ask questions, and you will usually get the help you seek. (Plus a bit of drama, from time to time, but that is just a facet of the internet world)
Over time I have bought, and I have sold, gear and even some of my own jewelry designs through this forum. Some folks seem to join, just to sell themselves, their services, and/or their products. Another valid reason for joining, as it is a great way to expose a service to potentially a very large market.

I think there are almost as many reasons for using this board as there are members.

Did you come hear to learn, to teach, to buy or sell, to meet buddies, to pick fights and brag, to swap stories or do research for gear, agencies, destinations, techniques or safety questions?

I finally got here gypsyjim!

I read for a while then decided to join because this board has a lot of great information for a new diver like me. I've found the basic scuba section is excellent (and flame free!).

I don't feel I can contribute much in the way of knowledge yet, but that will change :)

How about an its a good place to read reviews of dive resorts - liveaboards.

A place to hang out with some friends, some of whom I have not met yet in person, from all over this planet.

Great place for information too, and not just about diving :D

I asked that this poll be relocated to a more public forum, where it is visible to all members. The surface Interval forum where I originally placed it is one members have to opt into to view, which put this poll out of the reach of many members.

Thank you CD!

after taking 8 years off from the sport, SB has served me well in "what is new". Additionally, it adds a lot of background of what might be of interest (or importance) from an education perspective. With the broad width of members, there is a wealth of knowledge. Interesting the different things some stress vs. others, which leads to many bits of research.

OK, now for a serious answer.

When I joined SB, I had (I think--long time ago) just completed Rescue diver and was contemplating going on to DM. I thought I knew a lot about diving. I certainly knew more than most of the people I dived with on diving vacations.

One of the first things I learned as a participant was that I didn't know nearly as much as I thought I did. Before too long I learned a skill that I usually try to follow still: when someone posts something along the lines of a question and you do not have very clear assurance from past research that I have a solid answer, it's best to sit back and read for a while. You may learn something valuable from the people who really do know something about it, and there will be far fewer times that you come off looking like a fool.

I am a much different diver now than I was then, and what I have read here has a lot to do with that.

One of the first things I learned as a participant was that I didn't know nearly as much as I thought I did. Before too long I learned a skill that I usually try to follow still: when someone posts something along the lines of a question and you do not have very clear assurance from past research that I have a solid answer, it's best to sit back and read for a while. You may learn something valuable from the people who really do know something about it, and there will be far fewer times that you come off looking like a fool.....

That describes how I have learned to interact with SB to a tee! There are many times I've sat at the screen and thought to myself that, "hey, I know the answer to this", only to realize that there are a few folks here would put it to words much better. Sure enough after a while those posts show up. Sometimes I discover I did know the answer and could have said it just as well. Other times I am glad I kept my fingers off the keyboard.

I can't even imagine what my diving skills, or even ongoing interest in diving, would have been without Scubaboard.

• I had my share of newbie questions which were patiently answered and kept me from high levels of frustration
  • I learned an immense amount from older threads, doing a search any time I started to wonder about something
  • I found out about DIR and GUE, which is my present path.
  • I had been so frustrated by the low level of my training, if I did not start learning that there were worlds out that that I didn't know about, including competant, dedicated instructors from all of the agencies, I may not have been able to imagine my future (read addiction) diving

I think that there is a good chance that without Scubaboard I would have maybe become one of those annual vacation divers, not someone trying to pass fundies, and seriously looking at tech.

I often feel like a little kid that is being allowed to sit at the grown-up's table. I have so much respect for so many of the people who donate their time to the newbies!

Here is how ScubaBoard helped me minutes ago.

A couple of days ago I went looking for a pair of Cressi Frogs, a fin I used to use a lot but not as much any more. I needed them for something I was doing, and I anticipated needing them again in a few days. I couldn't find them. I looked everywhere. I was totally baffled.

I was just looking through a thread on ScubaBoard in which someone asked about the kind of fin he should bring on a trip to a certain location, and the overwhelming advice he received was to choose whatever packed best because of airline restrictions. I involuntarily thought of my own dive luggage and how I put my fins in them and...and...and...there they were!

What Scubaboard did for me was open my eyes to the wide variety of techniques, equipment and philosophies that this sport embodies. The immense wealth of knowledge here is amazing. Just like in real life, sometimes you have to sort the wheat from the chaff (and some of it is pretty chaffy :D), and believe/adopt what is right for you. I've never found another resource where the members were so involved and open to helping each other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom