1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

what does that 5/16 hex screw do...

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by birdwrasse, Aug 7, 2006.

1. birdwrasse

birdwrasse Manta Ray

i have one 2nd stage regulator that are screwed all the way in... that do not adjust. my aqualung titan though can turn. what is this adjustment for?

thanks,

--carlos

2. SparticleBrane

SparticleBrane DIR Practitioner

...I have no idea what you're asking. Perhaps be a little more precise...with better grammar?

3. NetDoc

NetDoc Chairman of the Board

It is the adjustment for your IP (intermediate pressure). DON'T TOUCH IT! You need to have an IP guage attached and and understanding of what you are doing BEFORE you turn it.

4. birdwrasse

birdwrasse Manta Ray

thanks... i think my dive shop did an adjustment to it a few days ago... it wasn't in balance... seems to be working okay, now...

thanks,

--c

oh, is this something i can adjust myself?

5. SparticleBrane

What do you mean it wasn't "in balance" ?

6. birdwrasse

birdwrasse Manta Ray

i got a free octopus and bought a 1st stage for it to use with a pony bottle as a redundant air source... the 2nd stage would free flow, occasionally, so i brought it into my lds. the owner did some kind of adjustment and now it doesn't... he must have adjusted that screw... "balanced" it...

--c

7. SparticleBrane

I believe what you're looking for (perhaps) is that he lowered the intermediate pressure. Then again I'm not a regulator tech.
    However, you can't just go into a shop and get a reg "balanced"--that is a design principle that is built into the regulator at the factory.

8. birdwrasse

birdwrasse Manta Ray

ah.... so, if it does it again, i can just turn it down by turning it one way or the other?

--c

9. SparticleBrane

Since it would appear that you are NOT a regulator technician, I would suggest not adjusting it yourself and let your LDS deal with it. I'd rather have someone who is (hopefully) versed in what they're doing deal with it for $ than to try and save some $, do it myself, and drown.

10. birdwrasse

birdwrasse Manta Ray

that's true...

thanks!

--carlos