What does this even mean? (LDS)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like a sale to me! The fact that he is selling all of the women's rental 2 piece suits may be a clue, assuming the shop offers classes. It certainly sounds like that part of the business is history. I doubt that business is good enough that the shop is upgrading rental wetsuits.

It might be worth a trip to see how serious he is about selling high end gear at low end prices. I certainly wouldn't pass up the opportunity to upgrade some gear if the price was right.

Except for my Omega II's of course (thanks, Phil).

Richard

If it is not the sale you are looking for, you get to keep your $$$ and he gets to keep his stuff ---- until one or both of you get more serious.

I just got the following from a dive shop in the area. I've been in a couple of times. I signed up for their e-mail hoping to hear about local events, maybe a trip to the Keys, etc. I think this is the first e-mail I've gotten from them. And, every time I've been in the shop, they've been happy to sell me what I want, but never looked like they were "happy" to see me. Of course, I was the only one in the shop. Now the e-mail:

--------------------------------------------------
Greetings!

I have absolutely had it with this economy. Everything in the store is up for grabs. Prove to me why I should not just lock the doors and walk away after over 30 years in the business. We have lots of toys to chose from including all of the 2-piece womens rental suits - some of which look like they have never been in the water.
Thanks
[redacted]
--------------------------------------------------

What does this e-mail mean? Is everything on sale? Doesn't say. Why the unprofessional tone? A much better approach is "We know things are tough in this economy. Here are some great deals we've put together to help you out."
Wow, this guy is either really creative or about to have a mental breakdown.

I assume that the email is genuine and his email account has not been hijacked.

If he has really been in business for 30 years, he has already seen hard times (granted maybe not this bad) and has survived. Sounds more like he is upset about something else and is using the economy as a reason to vent.

Why don't you drop in with a coffee and talk to him?

Agree. My point in posting this was as a shot across the bow to others that may be feeling the same way and show how not to do it. I don't know if he's really having a sale or not. I probably won't be going by for a few reasons:
1) I don't know if there is a sale or not
2) I don't really need anything
3) I don't like to be guilted into doing something, even if it's in my best interest

I hope he sticks around. He's close by and and the other really close by shop hasn't left me with the warm fuzzies either. Mike at Dive Right In is in the area and he's great, but he's 30 minutes away at least, so not the kind of place I'll drop in last minute.

In Chicago, a dive shop 30 minutes away (and in this case less) is a rare commodity.

What could you possibly mean "I don't really need anything"? You call yourself a diver?

I read your posts to be just as odd as you think his e-mail was.

From the description you repeated alone, I know which shop it is. I'd go by any local shop often, maybe you'll develop a need for something.

Man, I'd go in thinking they want to sell 'things' CHEAP----go in expecting that anyway---you can always walk out.....

Man I want to know the name of the store...I need a new wet suit..OP can you pm me with it or post it?

In Chicago, a dive shop 30 minutes away (and in this case less) is a rare commodity.

What could you possibly mean "I don't really need anything"? You call yourself a diver?

I read your posts to be just as odd as you think his e-mail was.

From the description you repeated alone, I know which shop it is. I'd go by any local shop often, maybe you'll develop a need for something.

I have two shops within 15 minutes, at least four within 30, and I don't know how many in an hour. I have no idea what you are talking about with "rare commodity." Nor do I know why you've bolded half my post, but as for "not needing anything," yeah, I don't. Not anything major. I have all my gear and what I'm thinking of buying even in the long term, they don't sell.

Their gear is strictly geared towards vacation divers from what I've seen. Asked there about steel tanks: "Expensive, but I can get them for you" Drysuits: "Don't sell many of those". Nitrox fills: "Dont' do that." I guess I need some lead. :D

Like I said, I do hope he survives. And since this thread looks like I'm slagging the shop, I won't post the name because I don't want it to appear critical and it was never my point to jump on one owner, just to point out what I thought was a bad example of trying to drum up business.

I have two shops within 15 minutes, at least four within 30, and I don't know how many in an hour. I have no idea what you are talking about with "rare commodity."

Since 2000, we have seen 25 LDS stores close in the Chicago area (what used to be Area Code 312). Since 1970 the number is likely 50 or more.

Now you know.

You're in Aurora, right? Home of Garth, Wayne and Stan Makita's DoNut Shop. From the description alone, I know exactly what shop you were referencing.

Out.

Back
Top Bottom