What equipment failures have you seen underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of minor failures that were simply annoying, but one major failure that could be a problem for people reading this board.

Some BCs still have an SS cable running inside the corregated hose from the inflator mouthpiece/LP hose connection up to the elbow where the corregated hose is attached to the BC fabric. At this elbow is a pressure release valve. To release gas from the BC the idea is that the diver tugs gently on the inflator mouthpiece/corregated hose, and the SS cable opens the valve, releasing gas through the valve at the elbow.

[Edit: This is the same "pull-to-dump" mechanism described by Diver0001 above...]

I watched a diver tug 'gently' on her corregated hose/inflator, only to see the entire corregated hose assembly pull out of the BC. Of course, instantly all the gas in her BC flooded out. She was holding the button down on the inflator mechanism attached to the hose, but it wasn't going to do her any good. She was sinking like a rock because she was overweighted.

Jettisoned her weightbelt, and got her up to the surface without incident.

Point is that those hose assemblies are held into the BC fabric only by pressure between two plastic disks and rubber washers. Not real sturdy, especially for a design where the diver is supposed to be tugging on the assembly.

First, I wouldn't own a BC that had this feature. Second, if you find yourself using one anyway, check to ensure that the elbow connection is screwed down tight.

Third, this sort of BC has other pressure release valves located in other places on the BC, and I encourage you to use these other pressure releases rather than tugging on the inflator hose!

(Divemasters from other charters told me they'd see the same sort of thing with multiple other divers yanking on their corregated hoses when they were ascending too fast.....)

FWIW,

Doc

I had a computer fail on me (not a battery problem) in the middle of a dive. I had a back-up bottom timer.

I also had another computer go into ERR mode, this time it was a battery problem (non-user replaceable battery, and it read 51% charge. Guess it didn't like the 42F water).

I have experienced nothing but leaks that I considered minor failures. LP hoses, HP hoses, HP swivel, 2nd stage LP seat, cracked inflator, and tank valve (stem o-ring). None resulted in an immediate dive termination. Did have a 2nd stage poppet on my pony stick in the open position on the stride in, but just shut the valve down as I also had a buddy so no problem.

I have seen one inflator separate from the corrugated hose but I don't recall it being on a pull dump. I have also seen a number of integrated weight pockets slip out, most at the surface during exits.

On one of my early trimix training classes I had the valve knob on my deco bottle come off in my hand. As we were coming up the line I went to turn on my gas in preparation for the switch and watched the little screw and washer fall out. When the instructor signaled me to switch, I held the knob up for him to see. He signaled for me to swim to the support diver and get another bottle, but as I swam over to comply I realized there was a better option. So I pushed the valve back in place, turned on my bottle, switched to the deco reg, then put the valve handle in my pocket.

We completed the dive as planned and fixed the valve later.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've discovered a pinch flat in a wing when I had to keep adding gas to keep my head out of the water. I've had a power inflator begin auto-inflating the wing (luckily slowly). I've had a variety of connections begin to leak underwater, none of them seriously. I had a high pressure hose begin fizzing like crazy (got replaced). I've had two free-flows (and my husband has had one). I had an inverted and taped rubber Jet fin strap come loose in a cave (ugh). I've had innumerable dry suit leaks.

But by far and away the thing that has failed the most is my can light. And, except for once, it has ALWAYS been something involving either the crimps into the Anderson connectors, or the wires to the batteries, or the solder joints to the batteries. Always fixable, always annoying.

Just a blown o-ring on the tank valve. I was down about 60' on a night dive in high current. The surface swim was ugly!

It was just a minor attitude adjustment on my 100th dive! Just a little something to remind me that surviving in the ocean was not guaranteed.

Richard

Had a BC inflator stick on and launch me to the surface. Fortunately only from 10 feet or so.
2 computer failures during dives. First was at 150 feet in Bonaire,second a few hundred feet short of the exit at Ginnie.
Lost the knob off a deco tank (Now know that Shears will open a valve with no knob on it.)

While drysuit training at Comox-as I was pulling the wristseal over my hand I put my finger through the wrist seal, no dive that day.
After changing my battery in my vt3 it flooded, Oceanic replaced it, I love them.
Did a non inlfated BC entry into a high flow current, dropped to 80ft, hit my inflator to trim-doesnt inflate, I did not completely insert my LP hose-maybe I should have tested that on the surface huh. This failure was easily overcome, however it sealed the deal for me on overchecking my kit before I hit depth.

The most commmon I've seen is a BC inflator valve sticking, though never happened to me (yet). I've had minor failures from time to time, like regualtors weeping air (a dribble freeflow), or the BC inflator hose popping off because I didn't engage the quick connector positively. (On mine it can feel secure even if the ring doesn't slide to the locked position).

My most spectacular surprise was when my swivel blew off underwater. It's impressively noisy, and fortunately happened very early in the dive, at a shallow depth. Yes, it was very soon after a service, and aparantly wasn't screwed down to torque specs.

I saw a second stage free flow during a cold water training excercise where we were meant to SIMULATE a free flow.. except it actually did...

Ive seen Computers die underwater, LP inflators leak, freeflow or disconnect, BCDs leak profusely, Weightbelts slip off people who didnt tighten em enough, tanks slip out of the cam bands, Cameras flood, Fins come off, mask straps snap... heh all good, just part of a great life of diving! hehe

Back
Top Bottom