What equipment to buy next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought all my gear before my first in pool class, with the aide of my instructor who also worked full time at the local shop where I was trained ( and now work for - he is now the owner). It was great to learn to dive in my own gear. That it not the usual way it goes, but I have never regretted it. I would recommend you next axcuire your regulator and alternate air source AND computer, all in console or wrist mount. Then bcd, then exposure suit for the conditions in which you will dive the most, then any tank or weights if you intend to buy them ( though renting these is fine, forever), and then you will start to acquire various accessories: lights, slate, noise maker, safety sausage, etc.
Welcome to diving!
DivemasterDennis

It depends on your ability to fit standard rental sizes. I break up gear into two categories - personal fit items like wetsuits, BC's, masks, etc. and standard items that don't require special fit like regulators, gauges, and computers.

If you are hard to fit then go with a wetsuit and BC first. Nothing ruins a dive quicker than cold water leaking into a wetsuit or one that is so tight it literally cuts off circulation. The most important aspect of any BC is first and foremost the fit. All other considerations including jacket v back inflate are secondary. It doesn't seem like much but since BC's can also affect your buoyancy it's hard to get precise pin point buoyancy control until you have your own BC. Even knowing your weights from a previous dive won't help because the inherent buoyancy of a BC may also be off by a pound or two unless you rent from the same shop and get the exact same model.

Several people prefer regulators as their first choice. You can get less expensive entry models or blow a several month's salary on really expensive ones. But they all breath about the same especially for recreational dives. Read some of the posts on puking in your regulator and you may decide to make that your first choice for sanitary reasons alone. Never did bother me and if you are really concerned then take along your own Listerine mouthwash and give the rentals your own soak.

I picked up my gear in stages if for no other reason I didn't want to justify to my non-diving wife the total bill for a complete set of scuba gear. I did start with my personal gear package as part of OW certification. Then purchased a wetsuit online as a clearance blow out. Then picked up my BC, a wrist computer, and regulator with SPG in that order over the next several months. Along the way picked up more than a few flashlights, a set of spring straps, and several bolt snaps. It just never ends. But welcome to the addiction.

If you are hard to fit then go with a wetsuit and BC first. Nothing ruins a dive quicker than cold water leaking into a wetsuit or one that is so tight it literally cuts off circulation.

Not to mention air.

The most important aspect of any BC is first and foremost the fit.

A sloppy BC suck's. That is why I changed up from my jacket BC to a BP&W. :D

if you buy your own regulator, i suggest getting a moldable mouth piece. total bliss not having jaw fatigue.

welcome to the never ending upgrade pit we call diving :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom