What exactly does chlorine kill!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More people get sick from pool water, even properly treated pool water, when on vacation. They usually chalk it up to something they ate.

This isn't correct either. There are far more cases of food (or drinking water borne) illness in travelers than recreational water borne.

Nope, chalk it up to that family that ignored the signs about only properly trained babies in the pool.
Chances are, the rinsing/diluting effect of the water will save you from any bug. But not the chlorine. Not nearly enough time for the dosage found in the pool. (assuming they use chlorine, in some environments other chemicals are used. Common in indoor pools or very hot pools such as hot tubs and the like)

Nope. Non-potty trained babies that aren't in swim diapers do pose a hazard to swimming pools. But a CDC study showed a range of 0.1 - 10 grams of fecal material remaining on adult back sides. (Average 0.14g) How's your "paper work"?
Again, at 1ppm or greater, the chlorine will kill most disease causing organisms. Dilution does play a role, but that also depends on the dose and infective dose needed.

Indoor pools still use chlorine. Bromine is another option, but require higher levels to maintain the same kill. Bromine is still an effective sanitizer.

You can take your health into your own hands. Go to a pool supply store, pick up some test strips and follow the label instructions. If there isn't any chlorine in the pool, then don't go swimming.

I will never set foot in a commercial hot tub. I know too much.

TwoBit

Well, not many babies are using the pool at your local LDS, like none! :D

I've always wondered about cold sores, who knows what those things really are? I make an effort to NOT swap mouthpieces with those I don't know. If it came down to a life threatening emergency, no hesitation. However, I have not encountered one yet, and my mouthpiece/air share drills are only with friends... maybe I need to get some medical background on those folks... :shocked2:

QUESTION: Can you get herpes from swimming in a public pool?

ANSWER: It's unlikely you would contract herpes from a swimming pool. Pools are typically disinfected with chlorine to kill off bacteria and other microbial organisms, as well as burn off bather wastes (oils, sloughed skin, etc.). There are a number of chemical parameters that are monitored in pools to ensure the pools are safe for swimming - the amount of chlorine found in the pool water is one such parameter. Research from a 1997 study shows that a level of 1.0 mg/L chlorine is sufficient to kill off the herpes simplex 1 virus within a half hour at a normal pH of approximately 7. This would be similar to conditions found in a pool. Pools are usually required to maintain a chlorine residual of 1 mg/L (public pools often have an even higher residual as an added margin of safety). So, it's unlikely that under normal pool conditions the herpes virus would survive long enough in the presence of chlorine to infect anyone. You may have heard of two types of herpes viruses - herpes simplex 1 (HSV1) and herpes simplex 2 (HSV2). HSV1 is typically transmitted by saliva, while HSV2 is the type transmitted sexually. Both types can result in open sores. Lifeguards at public pools are trained to keep an eye out for any obviously sick people, as well as people with open wounds or sores. This practice would further help to reduce the spread of any type of viruses or bacteria in pools.

Copied from:

USACHPPM - DEHE

Note: Their data on crypto is out of date.

This is also why sick people should not be swimming. I would also exclude an individual with an active cold-sore eruption (HSV-1) from my scuba class.

I suppose if you're going on a dive trip where you'll wind up with an insta-buddy, and you're concerned about such things, you can always take along a disinfecting wipe, and as part of your pre-dive checks, wipe down both your octo mouthpiece and his.

This is common practice for such things as trying out musical instruments. When my flute teacher played my flute one time, she did the disinfectant wipe both before and after. Considering that with the flute, the lip merely rests on the lip plate, rather than having a mouthpiece that actually goes into the mouth, this might seem overly cautious, but it's simply prudent.

Anyone with any sense shouldn't be offended by reasonable measures to prevent spreading any germs.

Form of herpes

R..

Unless what is being called a "cold sore" is actually a canker sore, which can have a variety of causes.

The Mayo Clinic page also has a decent discussion on the actual cold sore. They also mention that the two terms are often erroneously interchanged.

Last edited:
Also, pee is not taken care off by chlorine in a swimming pool. Pee is sterile to began with, what it contains are electrolytes, water, left over vitamins, minerals and various non-living waste chemicals.

Chlorine only reacts with organics and living stuff. Oh, and causes faster corrosion of metals.

Please refer to the following website for the published article with the microbiology journal for further details.

Study debunks common myth that urine is sterile

Thanks.

If you're worried about what is in the pool water, think what happens in open water. That water has no disinfectant and fish p*ss, sh*t and have sex in it.

I suppose if you're going on a dive trip where you'll wind up with an insta-buddy, and you're concerned about such things, you can always take along a disinfecting wipe, and as part of your pre-dive checks, wipe down both your octo mouthpiece and his.

This is common practice for such things as trying out musical instruments. When my flute teacher played my flute one time, she did the disinfectant wipe both before and after. Considering that with the flute, the lip merely rests on the lip plate, rather than having a mouthpiece that actually goes into the mouth, this might seem overly cautious, but it's simply prudent.

Anyone with any sense shouldn't be offended by reasonable measures to prevent spreading any germs.

As a retired Band teacher, I have seen the "mouthpiece wipe" often. I NEVER put a student's mouthpiece in my mouth, wiped or not. Do those wipes really clean it completely? I always had my own mouthpieces to try someone's instrument. Same goes for the EFR dummy rescue breaths. I succumb to the wipe there, but don't like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom