What frame rate - Canon 7D and GoPro Hero 3 Black edition?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do a test and shoot a subject in motion at 30 fps, then if possible shoot the same subject doing the same or similar motion at 60 fps and you will see what I mean.
It's not slow motion in the typical hyper-slow sense of the word it's just more detailed movement being captured per second making the image more detailed.
Try recording a ball or any object splashing into a bucket of water for example.

When I used teach video production I would tell my students to imagine a hummingbird flapping its wings 60 times in a second.
If you capture it at 30 fps its' wings will be a blur because (in theory) you're only catching every other wing flap and your brain fills in the missing info; however, doubling the frame rate of capture will (in theory) catch every wing flap. The eye/brain cannot perceive the half speed playback difference, but it does notice the added detail.

I had a clip that demonstrated the difference, but I can't seem to find it.
It was a trunkfish hovering over coral. At 30 fps it looks perfectly fine nothing to write home about, but when you viewed the same clip shot at 60 fps the details of every fin moving as the fish hovered over the coral made the clip really nice.

It doesn't work for every single case. For example with a manta or any large animal cruising over the reef there will be no appreciative difference between the two clips. Ideally you would record in the best mode for the occasion anyway. With the Hero 3+ at 1080 you don't have to compromise video resolution for the sake of frame rate and it's easy enough to change the setting to try what works best for you.

Well, I like shooting at 2.7K. You can always crop or stabilize footage. As long as there is no "fast" subject to film and you are in no rush. 2.7K on my GHB3+ maxes out at 30fps

Back
Top Bottom