What happened to APS Mantaray fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last year, while my old fins were still perfect, I posted a related query asking about other users' opinions. At the time a few commented that the Hollis F2 was too stiff in comparison to the APS Mantaray which it replaced. As a result, the Hollis lacked the 'snap' that the more flexible Mantaray had. That might mean the Hollis F2 might not suit me so well.

The stiffness of the Manta Ray fins varied depending on the color of the fin. I do remember when the F-2s were released that the stiffness was increased slightly over the black version. So if blacks are what you are using it may not be that much of a difference.

OK, I ordered and received a pair of Hollis F2 fins today. They look identical to my old Deep Outdoors Sixgills except that they are considerably stiffer. They fit me perfectly, of course.

I confess that the first feel was disappointing.

What does this additional stiffness mean as far as 1) Propulsion and 2) manoeuvrability?

Depends on kicking style and leg muscle strength. Being stiffer they frog kick better and are better at precision finning. Personally I prefer stiffer fins. I've found new fins take a few dives to get the feel of and use to. Good luck.

Depends on kicking style and leg muscle strength. Being stiffer they frog kick better and are better at precision finning.
I am reasonably strong with my leg muscles; I generally prefer the traditional scissors kick but tend to use the frog kick during muck dives, swim thrus, wreck penetration etc.

My old fins were excellent for most manoevres expet perhaps swimming against a current. For that I would say they were adequate, no more. Will the additional stiffness of the otherwise identical Hollis F2 help better propulsion in current?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom