What happened to APS Mantaray fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After 8 years and 431 dives including in severe currents in places like Maldives, Komodo, Raja Ampat & Socorro, my Deep Outdoors Sixgills fins have started to come apart at the spine & so need replacement. I know that John Wagner of APS Mantaray made them independently for many years, but the company now seems closed.

I love those those fins and they suit my diving style perfectly. For that and the fact that I have only some 120 more dives left before retiring from the sport next year, I want the SAME type of FINS.

On on the surface, replacing my fins is easy enough because Hollis F2 is the same one. But Hollis only make it in black and I would prefer it in another colour if possible.

My question therefore is - does any other company make them in different colours and if so, which one?

Last edited:
You might find this entire thread interesting:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hollis/422541-f2-fins-2.html

It looks like Hollis is making them now:

The F2 is a similar design to the APS Mantaray as Hollis now produces the fin, with some obvious changes. Material is now stiffer than the older Mantaray's and Six Gill's, we have also modified the tooling to include the F1 spring heel strap design. Its a solid fin that allows a wide variety of kicking styles. Personally my first question was thrust! However the F2 exceeded our expectations. Helicopter, Flutter and even Frog produce a nice stable kick with lots of thrust. Dont expect the same as the F1, there are some compromises with a smaller/shorter fin blade.

Yes, you are correct Akimbo. Hollis bought the rights and then made some modifications.

---------- Post added May 25th, 2015 at 10:52 PM ----------

IIRC the rights were time limited. Regardless, as of now your only option is the F2 in black unless someone has old mantaray stock. Good luck.

Thanks people, especially Akimbo for that excerpt from Hollis. That changes things a bit for me.

Last year, while my old fins were still perfect, I posted a related query asking about other users' opinions. At the time a few commented that the Hollis F2 was too stiff in comparison to the APS Mantaray which it replaced. As a result, the Hollis lacked the 'snap' that the more flexible Mantaray had. That might mean the Hollis F2 might not suit me so well.

Having just been to Socorro & Bonaire ( I am typing this from Bonaire airport) there is still time before my next dive trip. I will give it 6 to 8 weeks while I look for a leftover pair of APS Mantaray fins from dealers, eBay, iOffer & of course Scubaboard. If I have no joy by then, I'll either get the Hollis F2 or something else ( I was thinking of Scubapro Seawing Nova as a possible alternative).

If you want snap, then the Novas IMO have it over the F2s, I've owned both. The nova is a very fast fin, I no longer use them as I predominantly frog kick and found the Novas too floppy. The Aeris Accels are a nice small, light snappy fin.

Thanks Buddhasummer. I,ll bear that info in mind while I look for any leftover APS. If, as is likely, I get no joy, I will probably get a pair of yellow Nova.

Two questions about the Nova fins - first, what size do I need? I use size 11 (UK spec, probably 11.5 U.S.) and needed XL with the Sixgills. Second, what is the Nova like with tight turns and awkward positioning underwater? That is often necessary with UW photography.

I can't comment as to sizing except to say they seem true to size, i.e small is actually small unlike the F2s where small is not so small. I wouldn't recommend the Novas for pin point precision finning as required in photography either the F2s or Accels would be much better I'd think, the Novas are IMO just too floppy. I liked the Seawing Gorillas much more. If you get the chance check out the Accels, I wasn't expecting much when I bought them but was pleasantly surprised. I've owned a lot of fins, it's a sickness.

---------- Post added May 26th, 2015 at 08:11 AM ----------

Out of F2s, Novas or Accels I'd recommend the Accels.

I wouldn't recommend the Novas for pin point precision finning as required in photography either the F2s or Accels would be much better I'd think.
Thanks. That positioning underwater is important for me as I like macro photography. My old Sixgills were very good for that and if you say that the floppy Novas are not advisible, I'll listen.

But with only 15 months and some 120 dives to go before retiring from the sport, I am nervous about getting a completely new type of fin like the Accel. Good as they might be, after due consideration I decided to stick to something that I am familiar with. It therefore will have to be the F2.

Cool, just try on before you buy as foot pockets on the F2s seem like they're made more for dry boots than wet. Good luck.

---------- Post added May 28th, 2015 at 02:54 AM ----------

Retiring? If you don't mind me asking, why is that?

Back
Top Bottom