What happened to country music?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think drrich2 has a point about the population becoming increasingly urbanized and suburbanized... on top of which a lot of the country youngsters are too busy doing meth.

The crap I hear on the radio these days by stations calling themselves "country" isn't country IMO, it's Nashville Pop, or another word I can think to call it is garbage.
Why are they abandoning and allienating their core group of supporters that have been there from the start?
All I hear now is new crossover music by these young wanabees who call themselves country artist,.. phooey!
They wouldn't know real country if it bit them in the rear end!
What ever happened to the Bakersfield sound or the styles of artist like George Jones, Merle Haggard, Buck Owens, Junior Brown, and even Dwight Yoakam, and a whole list of others - too many to mention.
There are some current traditionalist country music singers out there doing their thing but the mainstream radio conglomerates won't play it. One example is Jamie Johnson.

Am I alone here or are there others that feel the same way?

Look into internet radio, you will find your time machine you're looking for, until then you're just tilting windmills

I didn't like the old country music, but I like the new. A lot of it is more like rock used to be, than what country used to be.

I confess that I'm not really a country fan even though I've been around it all my life. But 'country music' today is absolutely nothing like the Grand Ole Opry recordings that my Dad used to listen to at supper every night. And it's removed from the Willie and Waylon Outlaws music that my friends listened to in school. My daughters used to get ticked off at me a few years ago when they would listen to a new song on the radio and I would tell them that it was a rehashed Rock'n'Roll song from when I was a teenager, like "Third Rate Romance, Low Rent Rendezvous." One day in a store a bus driver was telling the girl behind the counter that he used to drive the bus for Charlie Pride. When he left the girl turned to her friend and said "Who's Charlie Pride?" I asked her who she listened to on the radio and she mentioned somebodies' name. I forget who, maybe it was Brooks and Dunn. I told her "I bet they know who Charlie Pride is."

I don't mind that they are playing a different kind of music. If the guys want to play Rock it's ok with me and if the women want to sing up-tempo Blues music that's ok with me.

I just hate that they keep trying to call it Country music. It's false advertising and it's dishonest.

DFB

Still the king...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom