What happens if you take your BCD off at depth.?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear:
Huh?? All your weight is in/on your rig and you will be negative in a drysuit?? :06:
Opps!!! Yeah, I ment "positive" of course.
Will edit post. Thanks!

Had to take my BCD off myself. not in particularly deep water due to the tank slipping.
It's quite tricky with intergrated weights and a 7mm suit. I ended up unzipping my jacket a bit and slidding the weights inside untill I had completed the manouvre, not
recomended in cold water.

aquakiwi:
Had to take my BCD off myself. not in particularly deep water due to the tank slipping.
It's quite tricky with intergrated weights and a 7mm suit. I ended up unzipping my jacket a bit and slidding the weights inside untill I had completed the manouvre, not
recomended in cold water.

Guess we think alike. Back in August of last year I wrote

But if I were solo and simply had to take my BC off without a weight belt - I can get to all my weights - I might take them and shove them down the neck of my wetsuit before taking off the BC. I'll have to try that sometime. Just a thought.

I'm thinking of spliting my weight between my BC and my weightbelt. I'll try to keep enough weight on my weightbelt to offset the bouyancy of my wetsuit. This way if I have to remove my BC I will have enough weight to keep my body neutral. Finding the right amount of weight to put on the weightbelt is crucial because the bouyancy of a wetsuit changes with depth. I'm thinking I will want enought wieght to be neutral around 10 metres. I'll have to figure out how much weight my suit needs.

I'm going to experiment with both tomorrow. I had a bit of trouble staying horizontal with the WI. The weight was about 4-5 inches higher than it is with a belt. so I think I'll need both at least until I get used to the WI/BCD.

No biggie! Using both is going to beat keeping 20+ on the belt!

Back
Top Bottom