What have you seen underwater that you'll never forget?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

colinw:
A commerant swimming (underwater flying?) by me. I'm thinking, "She doesn't belong here." And then I realized, she's probably thinking, "He doesn't belong here."

Wow! What an amazing thing to see underwater! And what a beautiful observation. Really puts it in perspective!

Jag

Hey guys..I'm new here/

Redang, Malaysia Sep last year, I was a newly certified diver and did a few leisure dives afterwards. A green turtle swam beneath me towards a dead jellyfish. I managed to shoot some photos and of course the picture quality left a lot to be desired. there'll be many exciting experience to come b :). I know I'm gonna hooked onto this hobby for a long long time to come hehe.

I, um, saw a big goldfish once.

The most amazing thing I've seen so far were two seals off La Jolla back in '94. They weren't that pretty to look at, although "cute" would be a good word. But the way they swim is fantastic.

They were nibbling on our fins and generally coming at us from directions we weren't facing. I felt as clumsy as a rock compared to them. They were actually swimming circles around us.

Whenever I see a seal I have to think of that morning.

No, we did not swim up to them to play, quite the oposite...

Two male marbled shrimp beating the snot out of each other over a female. The best part was a third male marbled shrimp that was waiting in the corner for the fighting to begin between the first two. When the fighting reached a level of complete pandemonium, the third shrimp swooped in and stole the female. When the fighting stopped, the "winning" male just looked around, clueless to what had happened to the female. The entire event lasted about 4 minutes.

Late 1999, Kona Hawaii, after the Manta feeding dive - saw an eel (don't remember the type) hunt, attack, and eat a fish. It bit the fish on the tail, tied itself in a knot, shifted its grip to the head, and pulled the fish through the knot of its body to squeeze/fold it so the eel could swallow it. It did this several times, and each time the fish was a little deeper in its mouth, until it was completely swallowed and made a large fish shaped bulge behind the eel's head.

The best part? The divemaster videotaped it.

Penguins feeding on a large school of fish. Speed, agility, grace. The Galapagos.

A couple of things.

10-12 ft Bull shark, about 30 feet from me. That'll make you pucker. Off of West Palm Beach.

A magnificent Leatherback turtle on the surface-I'm guessing the shell was 5-6 feet long. Very majestic looking creature. In St. Croix.

Freshwater jellyfish. Fairly rare. They "bloom" around Sept-Oct in a local pond. Very small, very delicate.

The coolest thing I ever saw was a large, my guess is 100lb, grouper down in Key West that came out from under a metal plate leaning against a wreck. It scared the crap out of me it swam by so close.

jonnythan:
I, um, saw a big goldfish once.

The attached pictures are from a mutant goldfish at Dutch Springs that is probably 2 feet long.

TTSkipper

love2godeep:
What have you seen underwater that you'll never forget?

My 15 yr old son on his first of two intro dives last year in Hawaii, and...

A "playful" harbor seal at Pt. Lobos that wanted to literally stay in my face (inches away...) for nearly fifteen minutes...

If I could swim 800% better with my gear on, I woulda caught him...NOT!

Back
Top Bottom