What have you seen underwater that you'll never forget?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a static huge and strange sepia (the only one i have seen) changing colors during a night dive at cozumel.

a static school of hammerheads above me, during 15 minutes or more at wolf island, galapagos.

Wow, it would be a long list of animals. However,

Probably the most unforgetable was swimming with a baby sperm whale.
The rarest creature was "The Thing"
Oddly, both encounters occured on the same trip to Dominica.

Ralph

Well I won't forget either of the two encounters I had with six-gills last summer. Can't decide which one was least forgettable ... the one I swam alongside at a distance of about three feet (at a local dive site) or the one that swam directly towards us from depth (on a pinnacle in Barkley Sound, B.C.) ... both had the blood pumping just a little faster.

But the strangest critter I've seen yet was a sturgeon I spotted on a night dive with Uncle Pug not long ago ... durn thing looked like something out of Jurassic Park.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hanging on the dropline while the divemaster headed up to help another diver that was having trouble equalizing....
Looking down into the deep blue only to see a school of HUGE (at least they seemed it then) barracuda. All I could think of was an underwater biker gang from the wrong side of the tracks. An amazing and scary moment for me. That was ten years ago in North Carolina.
I've run into many a cuda since then and I know (?) that they have no interest in eating me. But they always have this look about them that makes you not want to turn your back on them.
Every dive since then I have seen something new and amazing....bioluminesent critters on my first night dive (Aruba).....huge group of Stingrays (Grand Cayman)....graceful Eagle Rays (Grand Cayman)...my first turtle, a Hawksbill I think (Tortola)....being surrounded by a school of Sgt Majors in the Dominican Republic (turns out the DM stuffed a few slices of bread in my BC)....my first shark in St John (ok, so it was a tiny Nurse Shark, still a thrill for me)....ok, ok, I 'll stop...every time I go under there is something new to amaze me, big and small.
The best part is reading other peoples posts and knowing how much more I have to look forward to seeing.... :D

Jeff

I'll bet that I see something I'll never forget on every single dive. Well almost all dives. I've done some that had nearly zero viz, so if you can't see, you can't remember what you didn't see.

On my 2nd leisure trip after being certified as diver. Saw a whale shark at Rayner Rock, Aur on 27/10/2002 morning :bounce: The whale shark even circled us one round before heading to the deep :54:

animian2002:
On my 2nd leisure trip after being certified as diver. Saw a whale shark at Rayner Rock, Aur on 27/10/2002 morning :bounce: The whale shark even circled us one round before heading to the deep :54:
I hate you :p

In 1989 through 1993, I working at a fish farm in the Puget Sound. The farm was a floating system of nets, suspended in the water, and was secured about 1/4 of a mile out in the middle of one of the Sound's many passages.

One day I was diving in one of the fish pens, (sewing some holes in the nets, checking the "led" lines... and other general maintenance...) when I saw something large moving around outside the net. When I pressed my mask against the net, I saw a large, Male Stellar Sea lion swimming about 10 feet away from me... watching me!!! It was obvious that he was very curious as to what I was doing! (I had no idea that they were so big.) We watched each other for about 1 minute before he swam away.

**The Stellar Sea Lions' never bothered our fish... Although, the Northern California Sea Lion would really hammer our fish if we didn't stay vigilant!!!

I did my first night dive in the Puget Sound, near our fish pens... and that particular night the bioluminescent bugs were THICK!!! I turned off my light... and once my eyes became accustomed to the dark I began to slowly wave my arms around in the water. The Bioluminescent were so thick that my arms and even fingers left trails of light in the water. It was really amazing!

While on that same job, I was diving the pens for "morts" (Dead fish) when one of the guys I worked with told me that a pod of "Dall's Porpoises" were slowly swimming our way. He told me that if I swam out into the open water about 100 feet and held really still, I might get to see them! So I did.

After about 2 minutes I saw several quick flashes of white, streak past, to my left about 40 feet away. I was feeling pretty good, thinking to myself that even though I didn't get a good look at them... at least I could say that I did see them... (Well... kinda!) As I turned to swim back to the system, there in front of me, no more than 15 feet away was a lone Dall's Porpoise. It was completely still and just looking at me!!! I watched it for about 10 seconds before it took off at an amazing speed!!! It was really cool!

Thanks to everyone for sharing!!

Have a great day!

Donnie

Donnie:
In 1989 through 1993, I working at a fish farm in the Puget Sound. The farm was a floating system of nets, suspended in the water, and was secured about 1/4 of a mile out in the middle of one of the Sound's many passages.

One day I was diving in one of the fish pens, (sewing some holes in the nets, checking the "led" lines... and other general maintenance...) when I saw something large moving around outside the net. When I pressed my mask against the net, I saw a large, Male Stellar Sea lion swimming about 10 feet away from me... watching me!!! It was obvious that he was very curious as to what I was doing! (I had no idea that they were so big.) We watched each other for about 1 minute before he swam away.

**The Stellar Sea Lions' never bothered our fish... Although, the Northern California Sea Lion would really hammer our fish if we didn't stay vigilant!!!

I tend to think of Stellar Sea Lions as aquatic grizzly bears ... they are HUGE and intimidating.

I did my first night dive in the Puget Sound, near our fish pens... and that particular night the bioluminescent bugs were THICK!!! I turned off my light... and once my eyes became accustomed to the dark I began to slowly wave my arms around in the water. The Bioluminescent were so thick that my arms and even fingers left trails of light in the water. It was really amazing!

I've done night dives during the summer when we do a long safety stop in the eel grass, turn off our lights, and watch the dogfish hunt ... they leave a shower of bioluminescent "sparks" in their wake as they move through the water. It's quite a show.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom