What have you seen underwater that you'll never forget?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was doing a dive halfway up the coast in B.C, and had 2 sea lions swim past me within a few feet, was no biggy until I noticed the large black and white shapes closing in fast.. I may have ascended faster then my bubbles that time ;P...

First 'real' dive (post cert.), night dive off Kona, HI. Supposed to be a manta dive, but the DM forgot to invite 'em. I pulled away from the group (just a little...) and turned off my light to play with the bioluminescence. Way cool. When I turned my light back there were a couple of reef sharks cruising by. Way, way cool.

On our honeymoon in Costa Azul, Mexcio my wife and I went on a snorkling trip (she's not certified....yet:wink:) out of Puerta Vallarta. Saw whales and a manta (from the boat) on the way out, a puffer (my wifes favorite thing in the whole world) while snorkling, and a pod of dolphins (from the boat) on the way back. We were 6 snorklers and 2 crew on a small boat, so got a lot closer to the whales than the big whale-watcher boats!

Red Sea, 5 lionfish in one group, several seperately. Oh, and a baby whale shark (from the boat).

Still waiting to see mantas and whale sharks u/w, though. From now on I'm keeping my fins and mask on while in transit...

Of what i've seen, two things are really cool in my mind.

1. The first eagle ray I ever saw, Wreck Alley BVI, it was about 4 foot wide and 'flew' right buy us.
2. A tiny flounder, BVI, it was about 1/2in long, was black, and you could tell it was a mature flounder because it swam sideways--babys swim like normal fish--,so that was really cool.

I was diving the other day at looe key off of big pine key and saw a 6 foot bull shark. the next day went diving at the same spot and a huge school of baitfish came over the top of us and surrounded us, forming a perfect tunnel for us to swim through, when suddenly 3 6-foot barracuddas came flying through the bait-fish taking in eighty in every bite, a totally spectacular feeding frenzy, and we were in the middle of it :11:

I'll never forget the mola mola who came and visited us as we were diving off an oil rig here in Southern California. We had 60 ft vis and he swam right up to us and swam around us a few times, checking us out w/ his big eye. That was an awesome dive.

Thomas

A cyan octopus on a Christmas day night dive. Amazing. The view coming out of a cavern in Jamaica, a velevety blue fish with a gold fin and a spotted black and white fish which is apparently very rare. If Mr Mares is who I think he is he'll probably remember this as well.

I almost forgot. I'm really wierd and I like the feeling of going through the thermocline.

I just came back from Hawaii. We made one dive on a wreck called the Sea Tiger - amazing!! I was lucky enough to see THE frogfish - the camoflage was awesome:

2292014.jpg
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5876/cat/579/page/1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom