What is a good dive????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All dives a good dives. Some are great and a few fantastic. The only exception is of cource accidents.

DSAO

Hey Greg & All,

I was with ya' bud... until that crack about Flor-i-duh! Hmnnnn... We have lakes and rivers where the vis is under five feet, we dive them for various reasons... especially hunting fossils. Sometimes we get a white out in a limestone lake... 6 inches-no more vis. Still we hug the bottom hunting for more fossils (which was, of course, the cause of the white-out). Then there are our crystal clear spings, where vis is only interupted by the fish, gators or manatee. Florida is mostly coastline, and the rest is home to innumerous lakes (no we aren't able to count those either), and more springs then the rest of the USA put together. Diving is year round without no wimpy dry suit... If you ain't gettin' wet down here, then you don't like diving!

Pete from Orlando... Flor-i-duh! ;-)

.........where I measure the viz in inches, not feet. Yes, those dives are in Florida. Pete, we should get together and swap fossil dive sites. I'll show you Venice Beach locations, you show me Peace River sites. The Peace River is not far for me so this could be a great win/win situation. I dive frequently with a buddy from Orlando, if you're interested perhaps you could travel together.

WWW™

No offense meant with the Flor-i-duh remark, I'm every bit a part of it now, being a PROUD Palm Beach County voter! <G> I'm getting wet as often as the budget allows down here. I would be very interested in trying some spring or river diving. I've only dived one, Devil's Den, frankly I wasn't impressed, there's got to be better places than that.

Originally posted by NetDoc
Hey Greg & All,

I was with ya' bud... until that crack about Flor-i-duh! Hmnnnn... We have lakes and rivers where the vis is under five feet, we dive them for various reasons... especially hunting fossils. Sometimes we get a white out in a limestone lake... 6 inches-no more vis. Still we hug the bottom hunting for more fossils (which was, of course, the cause of the white-out). Then there are our crystal clear spings, where vis is only interupted by the fish, gators or manatee. Florida is mostly coastline, and the rest is home to innumerous lakes (no we aren't able to count those either), and more springs then the rest of the USA put together. Diving is year round without no wimpy dry suit... If you ain't gettin' wet down here, then you don't like diving!

Pete from Orlando... Flor-i-duh! ;-)

...that you are asking to choose, and if I have to choose, I take time over depth. My first couple of dives on my scuba trip were to 100 ft, and I used air quickly. After that, I stayed in the 60-70 ft range, and had just as much fun, saw a whole bunch of things anyway, and got to do it that much longer!

Of course, on the "technical" side, getting back on the boat in one piece is also a good thing! :)

i would say that time is the most important. meaning: anytime you get a chance to be under water is a good time.
i dive mostly for lobsters and spearfishing. even when i get skunked i still enjoy being under the water.

OK Greg, Walter & All...

Greg- You're off the hook! Its OK for a Flor-i-duhian to use that ... just no one else! Do you dive Boyton Beach very often, and if you do have you run ito Snaggletooth?

Walter- I would love to go diving with you off of Venice. Thats the place I refering to... (just south of Tampa). All of the rivers in Florida have fossils for the finding, sometimes locating a good deposit is hit and miss. The Tomoka river is my next destination for river diving. They pulled an 15 foot three toed sloth skeleton out of there. It is pretty awesome, and they got nearly the whole thing. Unfortunately, thats just north of Daytona... wrong side for you. Let me know if you are interested, and I will keep you posted. My E-Mail is pjm@NetDr.cc I need/want to find some more lime pits to dive. The last one was closed to us when a diver drowned in it last summer. They are the richest in fossils by a loing shot. BTW, are you cavern or cave certified?

Pete from Orlando.

Phew! Thanks! I've dived with Splashdown Dive Charter which is out of Boynton Beach. I've mostly been diving locally with charters between Pompano and Riviera Beach, and also with the PB County Reef Research Team. Who/what is "Snaggletooth"? Hey, I would love to try a fossil dive, is it critical to be cave or cavern certified? (I'm neither).

Originally posted by NetDoc
OK Greg, Walter & All...

Greg- You're off the hook! Its OK for a Flor-i-duhian to use that ... just no one else! Do you dive Boyton Beach very often, and if you do have you run ito Snaggletooth?

Walter- I would love to go diving with you off of Venice. Thats the place I refering to... (just south of Tampa). All of the rivers in Florida have fossils for the finding, sometimes locating a good deposit is hit and miss. The Tomoka river is my next destination for river diving. They pulled an 15 foot three toed sloth skeleton out of there. It is pretty awesome, and they got nearly the whole thing. Unfortunately, thats just north of Daytona... wrong side for you. Let me know if you are interested, and I will keep you posted. My E-Mail is pjm@NetDr.cc I need/want to find some more lime pits to dive. The last one was closed to us when a diver drowned in it last summer. They are the richest in fossils by a loing shot. BTW, are you cavern or cave certified?

Pete from Orlando.

Hey Greg & All,

Snaggletooth is the eighteen foot hammerhead that patrols off of Boyton Beach. I have never seen him, but have talked to many who claim to have. Myth or not, he has never hurt anyone, EXCEPT one diver who panicked and shot to surface, apparently holding his breath. Ouch. All who have claimed to "bump" into him tell of heart wrenching fear and the discovery of how to scream underwater. Fortunately, he apparently is in search of other morsels and just ignores divers. If he is there, I want to meet him!

Walter had asked about doing some spring dives, and thats why I asked about cavern/cave certs. Blue Springs is a 120+ foot deep and there is NO light after 80ft (you can't even squint). The park police will NOT let you dive with a light unless you ARE Cavern or Cave certified (they do search). The geology is simply fascinating. It is a cool springs, with lots of manatee in the winter. You do not need any type of cavern/cave certs to fossil hunt. As I posted earlier, Florida is more fossil rich than anywhere else on earth (no, I am not talking about me). Venice Beach IS the place to go for Megladon Teeth though... very shallow ancient reef in sight from shore. Lime pits are cool for that too.

Pete from Orlando...

Back
Top Bottom