What is a Mares Sten 58cm best for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drukja22

Reaction score
What is a Mares Sten 58cm gun best for?
What have you, or anyone you know, gotten with one?
thanks

I have a snubnose ~15" and a frontiersman ~28". Most of my shots are 1-5' with low Vis. Good for California groundfish. Cabezon, Lingcod, rockfish, halibut.

You give no information about location or what you are hunting.

It is better to go with a railgun than a pneumatic.

I'm going to be along the east coast of Mexico near Tulum,, Caribbean. Hunting around rocks and low reefs and caves, 15 feet deep at the most. 15 feet or so visibility. I've been there years ago with a Hawiian spear / pole spear. Got fish at about 4 to 6 feet.

Mares has a line of "Sten" spearguns: 41, 58, 70, 84, and 100 cm. They are good guns, if you like pneumatic guns and I do not. The 58 is at the small end of the spectrum. Good if you have to maneuver it but lacking in range, accuracy and stopping power.

So my Mares snubnose is a Sten 41, the 58 was called a shorty - my friend has one. They are for close up work, dirty Vis, in and around rocks, kelp, easy and fast to reload.

It depends on the fish. We have to shoot many of our fish in the head which is hard to get the spear through and they are right up against the rocks. The 41 and 58 may not make it through the head. If on SCUBA, no problem to swim forward an jam it up against the rock like when using a polespear on a larger fish. Freediving is a little harder, but at 15' should not have much problem.

My frontiersman may be the Sten 84. This slams into the heads of fish, but not nice and compact like the 58.

If it is some killer deal and you like pneumatics then it may work for your area.

A 75 or larger railgun would still be a more versatile and more accurate gun.

MAKO Spearguns - Instructional Info

You may want to post on the pneumatic section on deeperblue. There are many experts there that will give you a better idea.

The Mares section on this board if you want to see what the Mares Rep has to say about the gun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom