What is considered a primary dive light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PullmanSCUBA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I am about to take my advanced dive course and the night dive section. I was told that I need to have a primary and secondary dive light, and I was wondering what is considered a primary dive light? Do I have to spend $80 + dollars on a primary dive light? I just need to know if there are any specs on what makes a primary dive light.

Thanks

I would probably say at least 10w HID or halogen equivalent with a minimum burn time of 2 hours if you're gonna do more advanced stuff.

If you're only doing night dives and not thinking of moving to tech diving, you can probably find a decent LED or handheld HID thats smaller and cheaper that will be sufficient.

Yes, if you just do 1-2 hour night dives (like I do), the torch you have in your hands is the primary and the one stashed away in your BCD pocket is the secondary. Any dive torch will work for either. I am of the opinion that less bright is better since you don't want to scare the nocturnal critters into hiding. They both can be something simple like one of these: http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/3pc_lite.html. I used them for years and only stopped because they break too easily. Then again, I was travelling and diving with them weekly and they would only last one season. My wife uses this: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/longbow_micra.htm and I use a slightly bigger version and they have both lasted for at least 5 seasons.

If you are planning to do long decompression dives, cave diving, wreck penetrations, etc., just ignore my post. You will need to spend more for better gear then.

I use a 12 watt LED by salvo. Now Light Monkey. back ups are Dorcy penetrator 180's. For regular recreational diving I still would not want less than say a Princeton Tech Shockwave type deal as a primary. If you are takind cave or cavern or advanced wreck type stuff or considering those then figure on several hundred bucks (min 400-500 new) for a good primary.

Your primary light is the light you usually use. Some folks like big very bright lights that turn night dives into day dives (I suspect they are afraid of the dark). Others use a small light that fits in their pocket and is less disturbing to critters.

So I am about to take my advanced dive course and the night dive section. I was told that I need to have a primary and secondary dive light, and I was wondering what is considered a primary dive light? Do I have to spend $80 + dollars on a primary dive light? I just need to know if there are any specs on what makes a primary dive light.

Thanks

A Primary light is just one adequate to make the dive safely and enjoyably.

A back-up lets you finish the dive safely but may not be the ultimate sight seeing enabler.

There is such a thing as too much light so it really depends o your diving.

Pete

As others have said if you are not planning going farther and doing more technical diving or no time soon and not really going to be night diving then no you dont need to spend much money now. Here is a great deal from piranha 2 light package just under 100.00 50 each light and they are bright for smaller lights probably wont find a brighter one at this price. These should be sufficient to get you through your AOW class. I know people that dive with these as there back-ups and yes they can be used as a primary. BUt if and when you decide to go farther and do more might want to consider on of the above canister lights as it will give a lot more light.

You should be able to get into a 10W HID canister for around 500 and even find some used for less.

Piranha Dive Manufacturing

Penetrater 220 2 Light Package

220 Lumens of Light Output! This light is bright!!
Dimensions 6.5" L X 1.5 W
Submersible (IPX-8) to a depth of 100 meters (328 Feet)
Uses Cree Q4 LED
New body with a Hard Anodized Finish
Our 220 model has a new head for easier turning it on / off underwater
Twist On and Off Funtionality (No Push Button Switch)
This light has dual o'rings (2) to prevent flooding
8 Hour Run Time

2193-2716_th.jpg

Are you doing the dives in Puget Sound? If so, you will want a primary light with a fairly well focused beam, to cut through the murk. Something like the Dorcy lights is an excellent choice at a good price point. I got mine from Piranha Dive Manufacturing.

In tropical water, you can use something with a much more diffuse light -- there, my Salvo Rat, Jr. is just about perfect (but of course, they don't make those any more).

I would highly, highly recommend that you not buy anything with a through-the-case switch. Every light we have had with one has eventually failed at the switch. Twist-on lights are much more resistant to flooding.

Depends on your environment. For simple ocean dives with no penetration, a UK Mini Q for $50'ish will do it. For Wreck or Cave Penetrations, I'd suggest something in the $500-$2000 range.

Back
Top Bottom