What is drift diving exactly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elenec:
I do have difficult descending. During my OW dives my instructor would almost always have to give me a shove. Once I'm about 5 ft down I can make the rest of the way on my own. Do you have any advice for me to correct for this problem?

A couple simple tips from helpful dive guides:

1. Pull the neck of your wetsuit to let water in.
2. Cross legs with fins pointed down.

That link worked for me...

elenec:
I do have difficult descending. During my OW dives my instructor would almost always have to give me a shove. Once I'm about 5 ft down I can make the rest of the way on my own. Do you have any advice for me to correct for this problem?

Try going head first and kick down for about 10 feet, then you should have no problem drifting down the rest of the way assuming your not underweighted.

Try drift diving Rainbow River. Best "drift dive" on the continent.

Often the problem with new divers descending is related to one of more of the following items:

1) the diver does not fully dump the BC - roll back slightly so the part of the bladder where the corrogated infaltor hose attaches is at the high point and then lift the hose itself over your head so no air is trapped. Rocking side to slide slightly can vent any residual trapped air.

2) the diver unintentionally kicks slightly on the surface. This is a "normal" reaction for a diver who feels the need to keep their head above water that does not always go away just because they want to dive. Before the descent practice floating in the BC and not moving anything. Consciously focus on not moving your feet or hands and look at them throough mask and snorkel to confirm it. Then repeat this non movement drill when you are descending.

3) Diver inhales before attempting to descend. This is another "normal" reaction for a swimmer used to holding their breath when preparing to submerge. It does not work for a diver as a full breath can add 5 to 8 pounds of additional bouyancy.

As for drift diving, always stay with the flag holder. If you are on a boat, that is who the boat is following. You should make sure you have a safety sausage in the event that you get seperated from the group... and a whistle... and a light... and a mirror.

Just my thoughts.

I like drift diving and have had no problems with it. My last two night dives were drift dives in ripping current. No problems whatsoever.

I always chuckle when I hear people say that drift diving is not for beginners. I did my open water dives in Cozumel and my very first dive as a certified diver was a wall drift dive. LOL

Ironically, the only thing I though would bother me underwater was not being able to see the bottom, but I told myself that I would face my fears. (I just didn't realize that I would do it on my very first dive.) Admittedly, I did watch my depth gauge rather closely, but I am glad that I faced the fear early and now it doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I sometimes find myself putting my back to the wall and wondering what huge creatures are lurking out there.

Dion :)

elenec:
Thanks. I've read that new divers (as i am) would not like drift driving. What is normally their concerns?

I waited very late to discover the joys of drift diving. It was counter-intuitive to allow the current to sweep me along the reef. I had been used to going down/coming up an anchor line I had been used to coming back to the boat, and was not accustomed to free ascending in open water and waiting for the boat to pick me up. These are skills you need to practice a couple of times. It is better to be slightly overweighted at the beginning of the dive, so that the 15-20ft safety stop doesn't have you bobbing to the surface.

I must say that the experience has spoiled me. I sometimes get annoyed when I have to "fin" around a site now, and often refuse to fight currents even when not drift diving. Lazy, man, lazy!

You will get to cover WAAAY more reef drift diving, your air will last longer, and your buoyancy requirements will become second nature...

If there is any downside, it is keeping track of the flag when I am "Flag-boy". Too little slack, and the wind will pull you all over the place/and the float will yank on your arm. Too much slack, and you find it tangled around your first stage. Being flag-boy on a windy day will sometimes bring you an e-ticket ride if the wind and current are running in the same direction. Remember - The one with the flag is not lost...(S)He is the one the boat captain is watching.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom