What is it about Diving...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
I honestly think, if somebody did the research, that nitrogen does something to the dopamine pathways in the brain -- those are the pleasure center circuits, and the ones that tend to be involved in addictive behavior. Because diving sure makes us happy, and we are all ridiculously hooked.

That may be but I get the same good feelings from the water whether snorkeling or diving (even 10 foot max dives) or riding waves or just riding the boat.

Beautiful post, Doug!

same here too,though i cant get into the water in the near future...argh!! next one will be in dec...i'm so frustrated with school work that i just want to grab a tank and jump into a pool or anything,but i cant...help*

I have been calling diving "Compression Therapy", It seems if I don't get my "Compression Therapy" at least once a week I get very grumpy.

I have to say it's a combination for me. Definitely the nitrogen leads to euphoria, during and long after the dive. Completely independent of the ocean (I can get it on a 10' pool session when I just want to get wet, float weightless for awhile and check skills when I've been dry for 3-4 months).

But the ocean is another, intensifying factor. Even when I wasn't able to dive, I had to get my "ocean fixes". The psychological sense of connection is one aspect. I beleve there is a physiological factor with the ionization of air by the ocean is another. I start getting cranky if I can't be near an ocean every 3-4 months, and after about 6-9 months, it becomes a physical pull for me. I don't even need to get wet - just have to be near it. But of course, floating in some form in or on it is even better.

I swore I'd never live away from the ocean again... and look where I ended up. Thank heavens I can travel frequently.

TSandM:
My second OW checkout dive was a flooded drysuit, a panic attack when trying to clear my mask, and a short tour dive, during which I was shivering uncontrollably and was completely disoriented. You tell me why I got addicted to this sport?

I honestly think, if somebody did the research, that nitrogen does something to the dopamine pathways in the brain -- those are the pleasure center circuits, and the ones that tend to be involved in addictive behavior. Because diving sure makes us happy, and we are all ridiculously hooked.

This must be the case. I am happily addicted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom