What is the best BCD (any price range)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemaster_jim:
ping pong? soap carving? rock collecting? :rofl3:
If that's a response to my "best for what?" question, and you're implying that it's a silly question because he obviously means "the best for diving", I'll submit that different sorts of diving have different requirements. What might be ideal for dives when travelling to warm water vacation destinations might be very different from what is ideal for cold water wreck diving a 20 minute drive away, and neither of those might be the best for public safety diving, freshwater caverns and caves, open water kayak dives, scootering, or professional videography. The kind of diving someone is likely to do, IMHO, ought to influence the recommendation if it's coming from someone who actually wants to give the OP good advice and not just tell him the equivalent of "use what I like".

Go with a back inflation, alot of them tend to actually be lighter/more compact than their jack style counterparts plus it's better for your trim. Most weight intergrated BC's on the market have small weight pockets on the back that can help keep you face up on the surface. Any Zeagle BC is good one, also SeaQuest Balance is one of my favorites. Also DUI makes some really good BC's also that are reasonalbly priced.

My favorite Back Inflate BCD is the Scubapro Knighthawk. It's been perfect for me and I also have a HOG configured BP/W and I prefer my Scubapro Knighthawk...as the webbing of my HOG configured BP/W isn't anywhere near as comfortable or as easy to don and get out of as my Knighthawk. I now use my BP/W for doubles only as the Knighthawk isn't recommended for doubles use (It can be adapted but I had the BP/W lying about so I use it now for that purpose). If I'm diving single tank and only rec I'll use my Knighthawk...if the Knighthawk were more designed for doubles use I would sell my BP/W. As a side note I have often thought about getting rid of the HOG harness on my BP/W in favor of a more comfortable deluxe harness such as the one Dive-Rite has avail. Don't get me wrong...I like my BP/W config...especially for doubles and more tech diving but for comfort and single tank rec diving I prefer my Scubapro Knighthawk. I just don't think any single solution works best for everyone...try out different style BCD's including BP/W's and see what works best for you. Don't feel compelled to buy something that just isn't right for you. You never know, you may even prefer a jacket style BCD like a Scubapro Classic over a back inflate BCD or BP/W. In the end its your money and your comfort...don't let any dive "Taliban" tell you you need this or that particular rig. Do yourself a favor and try out a few...even if you have to rent them to get an idea of what you like.

Jim

MSilvia:
If that's a response to my "best for what?" question, and you're implying that it's a silly question because he obviously means "the best for diving", I'll submit that different sorts of diving have different requirements. What might be ideal for dives when travelling to warm water vacation destinations might be very different from what is ideal for cold water wreck diving a 20 minute drive away, and neither of those might be the best for public safety diving, freshwater caverns and caves, open water kayak dives, scootering, or professional videography. The kind of diving someone is likely to do, IMHO, ought to influence the recommendation if it's coming from someone who actually wants to give the OP good advice and not just tell him the equivalent of "use what I like".

Did I miss something here?
Dude, Have a coke and a smile, That wasn't meant to be anything but a reply to Cheekymonkey and the cost of things in general.
Your posting had Nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveDownDeep
So can i have a massive flood of opinions on whats the BEST BCD ON EARTH!

The best for what?

I'll admit it was off-topic and I did contribute to the thread in an ealier posting,
I don't think much was lost by that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom