What is the correct action to take in an unexpectedly strong current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chepar

Contributor
Reaction score
Did a couple of dives with a boat charter this past Sunday, these were my 10th and 11th dives. I've gone with this particular company before, but hadn't been to the particular dive sites we were visiting that day. The second dive we went on was supposed to be easy, about 40 minutes bottom time, max depth about 35-40 feet, easy conditions - maybe a little surge. I've encountered moderate surge and current before and not had any problems, but nothing like this dive.

Going down the descent line, there was a very strong current. I was hoping that once I got a little deeper, the current wouldn't be as strong, but as I got about halfway down, I see that the boat anchor has somehow come loose, and one of the divemasters is hanging onto the end, trying to anchor it down into the ocean floor to no avail - he was just being dragged along. He must have been dragged about 40-60 yards before the anchor was secured.

While the boat was drifting and the anchor was being dragged, most of the divers on the line were dropping off like rocks. I hung onto the line, thinking "where the boat goes, I'm going" - except that I saw that my (assigned) buddy, the other couple assigned to my group and our DM were all off the line at the bottom. It flashed through my mind that the current and the situation was something that I was not very comfortable in, and I wondered if I should abort the dive. However, as my buddy and group were all at the bottom already (and drifting away with the current), there was no way at the time for me to signal to them that I was going up, so I decided to stay with the group, rather than just disappear and have them wonder where I went.

Our dive literally consisted of scrabbling on the sea bed for handholds while we pulled ourselves against the current. The current and surge were just as bad on the bottom, and as the sea floor was pretty much just flat and sandy, it was very hard to find handholds. I was tiring very quickly, my arms and fingers were cramping and my sole concern at that point was keeping my buddy and group in sight as we crawled (about 2 inches off the floor) along. Wondering when the dive would end, the line to the boat was nowhere in sight, so I did all I could to keep them in sight. It was kind of scary - when the current went against my face, the force was strong enough that I had to bite down hard to keep my regulator from being torn out of my mouth. There were some elements of solo diving going on at this time - everyone was so preoccupied with finding handholds so as not to be blasted away with the current, there were not much in the sense of buddy checks going on.

When we finally ascended (all linking arms so as not to be separated), we were at least 130 yards from the boat, which had to motor over and pick us up.

Once we got back on the boat, we found out that all the other divers spent maybe 4 minutes near the anchor, kicking away and going nowhere - then deciding that the current was too strong, they were going up. Our group was the only one that attempted to do the dive.

With that experience under my belt, one of my priorities is to go out and buy a safety sausage. I haven't gotten around to getting one yet, figuring that I don't do drift dives and that all dives were guided by a DM. This experience was a knock on the head to be prepared for any situation - what was supposed to be an easy dive in easy conditions turned out to be a little more difficult - and I can see where I could have easily become separated from the group.

My question, though - when the anchor was being dragged along, and all the other divers were dropping off the line - was there a particular reason that they were doing so? I couldn't figure that one out - is there something that I don't know about? I figured it was better to stay with the boat, but I must have been the only one.

Also - in that situation - would it have been wiser to ascend (but it being very questionable that my buddy/group would have known that I ascended) or did I do the right thing by staying with the group?

I will be curious to hear what others much more experienced than I have to say about it and their reasoning....but, in lieu of any replies so far, here is my take:

IMHO, you are right about questioning dropping off the anchor line...did people do this to follow the DM? I would have stayed put on the line...getting lost at sea can be fatal and sounds like a real possibility if the current was that strong...if the DM has to reset the hook, that is his job, not mine.

But...given your situation, I think you did the right thing staying with your buddy. If you couldn't ascend together and could not communicate because he/she dropped off the anchor line, I would have stayed with my buddy too....you can't leave your wingman.

If you were hanging onto the anchor chain - in uneven conditions as you described, that can be dangerous. If the anchor catches, the weight of the boat is thrown against the chain, and it can whip tight surprisingly fast through the water, enough to injure you. Even with a moored boat in a large swell, hanging off the anchor chain may be perilous. In calm seas however, it normally is perfectly safe to hold onto.

IMO, a safety sausage is one of the smartest accessories a diver can buy. It's really a necessity for any ocean diving - regardless of conditions - it's a useful signalling device for ANY surface emergency, not just for being seperated from the boat. I even take one on shore dives - it's a lot more visible from the shore to onlookers should something happen, and a clear distress signal.

Doesn't really sound like they were really buddy diving the bit about
There were some elements of solo diving going on at this time
gives this away a bit.

It sounds to me like someone did not do their research - the Captain or the DM I mean and not you chepar. This does not sound like conditions for the faint of heart and I believe you should have called the dive. I don't mean go up by yourself or attach yourself to another group, I mean tell your buddy and DM that enough is enough. I believe anyone at any time can call a dive and no reprocussions should come of it.

Did anyone in your group have and use a SMB?

Jonathan

Chepar

It doesn't sound as if you were properly briefed on what to expect. i've done a drift dive but that was planned and explained fully to us and the boat was waiting at the other end as planned.

You were right to stick with your buddy and with the group. Calling off the dive on your own and leaving your buddy to his/her own devices is IMO wrong if you knew where your buddy was.

You're right about the safety sausage. get one.

regards

One reason people could have been dropping from the line is because currents are not usually as strong at depth as they are at 15 or 20ft (wall dives not included). Athough, if the bottom was at 35 or 40ft...I doubt that would have made much difference.

Was this a spot normally known for currents? If so, the captain should have dropped a current line to see how strong the current actually was. Sounds like it would have made a great drift dive..if everyone had been prepared for one.

I think you did the right thing in the situation. If you had tried to go to the surface without your buddies, there is a good chance you would be taken too far from the boat for them to see. The safety sausage is, in my opinion, a must anytime you dive in the open water.

If you ever get in the water with a current and the boat is moored, the best thing to do is start your dive swimming against the current, and let the current carry you back to the boat. Sounds like this wasn't possible on this dive (Hate dives like that!)

Just chalk this up as a learning experience..and keep diving!

Currents can be unexpected at any time. I have dove with some strong ones too! If you are ready for it, they can be a wild ride, and you can really cover some ground. On the other hand, if you are not ready they can be deadly... From my limited experience here are some tips.

1) Never proceed with a dive (or current) you are uncomfortable with. It's your buddy's task to stay "back" with you, not for a buddy to keep "up" with them. If I was unsure about how to handle a situation, I would abort ASAP! Back up the line and sort things out later. Your buddy should have been close enough to you to accompany you to the boat.

2) Use diver down buoys & flags (1 per buddy pair), so the boat can track you. Then you can feel free to go with the flow. If the current is THAT strong, the boat should NOT try to anchor!!! They should stay mobile to keep up with you, the diver.

3) Using the bottom for hand holds will destroy the bottom. Of course, you were in an emergency situation so it seems, so use what you will. Your safety is far more important than the bottom. Still, they should have planned to pick you up downstream so you could have relaxed and enjoyed the ride.

4) When diving out in the open blue (as opposed to the closed muddy) make a safety sausage and whistle STANDARD on your kit.

5) If you aren't having fun, there is something wrong! I SCUBA for fun! When it becomes too arduous, I sit back and figure out why! Did you do a second dive? Was it any better???

Originally posted by chepar
Also - in that situation - would it have been wiser to ascend (but it being very questionable that my buddy/group would have known that I ascended) or did I do the right thing by staying with the group?

Did the briefing include instructions on what to do if you became separated from the group? If not, it's something that's worth discussing with your buddy.

It isn't a good idea to go up on your own, but... sometimes you have to. Your buddy (and the DM, if you're with a group) should notice your absence and take whatever action you've agreed on. They shouldn't just swim off going, 'Oh well, never mind.'

Zept

Originally posted by Jonathan

It sounds to me like someone did not do their research - the Captain or the DM I mean and not you chepar. This does not sound like conditions for the faint of heart and I believe you should have called the dive. I don't mean go up by yourself or attach yourself to another group, I mean tell your buddy and DM that enough is enough. I believe anyone at any time can call a dive and no reprocussions should come of it.

This dive was a bit surprising, as the others I have gone on with this company the Captain or the DM have been very good about mentioning the surge and approximate current speeds during each site's briefing. Nothing was mentioned about the current during the dive site brief, so I figured there was little to none.

When the anchor came loose, one DM while being dragged along apparently hurt his finger - my DM went down to assist him in trying to get the anchor secured. I saw my buddy zoom by me - I don't know if he was going to attempt to assist also - but that's why I was on the line and everyone else was down. Had he been closer to me, I would've called the dive for sure - it was not fun.

I kind of wondered what the heck our DM was doing, as there seemed to be no point to the dive other than to see how far you could muscle your way against the current - and get a real close look at the bottom - but then again, she was one of those radical surf chicks whose personality seemed to be on permanent overdrive - when we ascended so far away from the boat, arms aching and wide eyed, she exclaimed "Dude! That was an AWESOME dive!!!" :wink:

Wow- riveting story! I agree with NetDoc- true, you should in general always stick with your buddy, but...what's good for the goose... It seems pretty obvious that s/he also had a responsibility to stick with YOU, rather than drop off the line without communicating back to you.

More to the point, though, is the fact that you felt very unsure and uncomfortable about continuing the dive. As a relatively new diver myself, I know how hard it can be to listen to that voice of doubt, when everyone else on a dive is doing something that we feel uncertain about. But it's your LIFE we're talking about , and ultimately we all have a personal responsibility for our own safety, so trusting your instinct here makes more sense to me than the ethical question of whether to stay with your buddy. But that's just MHO, and may change someday, but for now that's it. Thank you for sharing your story and for starting an important discussion.

And thanks to your post, I'm buying a sausage AND a whistle today!
Best,
FastDen :rainbow:

Back
Top Bottom