What is the essential gear for an Ocean Wreck Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Landlocked123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What do you consider essential gear for an Ocean wreck dive. I am trying to scale down as much as I can while still brining what i would potentially need. Do you carry the below?

1. Spare mask - where do you keep it?
2. Whistle - Again where do you keep it.
3. How many SMB/ DSMB's? I have one of each bungeed to my plate
4. How many reels? what size reel? is there a size that can both be used to launch a DSMB at depth and be used as a primary reel? Currently i have one of each (both Manta).

I am trying to get away with not using hip pockets on my waist stap or leg but the spare mask, whistle seem to have no home. I have considered stashing the whistle behind the backplate pad (OMS) but then it seems it would be hard to each in an emergency. Clipping it off to a Dring seems like it is in the way. Any ideas? what is your config? Do you carry a signal mirror for worst case scenario..ie boat leaving without you..

I keep my whistle on the bungee that holds my BC inflator hose to my chest d-ring. it ends up about 2 inches from my mouth

IMHO, a spare mask is really a "deco" item.... if you aren't doing staged decompression, it's needed to a lesser extent (YMMV)

Pockets are important. Trying to stash all this stuff without them is a nightmare.

So this whole SMB/DSMB naming thing confuses me - I use the two terms interchangeably (and I'm probably wrong.) Do you carry a DSMB and something different called an SMB? Or just a backup to the DSMB? If it's mainly a warning to boats having it out of the way sounds okay (I really like keeping it inside the backplate pad with a little bungie hanging out.) OTOH, if it's your redundant lift or there's no anchor line and you want to ride the SMB line to your first deco stop before letting it blow to the surface, wouldn't you want it clipped to your butt ring or backplate with the reel for faster access if things go sideways? Spare mask goes in a pocket, no?

I think you left off some really essential gear: where are you keeping your lights? (or if you use a can light, where is your backup? clipped to a chest D-ring, I think.)

Reel for penetration, deploying smb, or both? I'm curious what experienced folks will suggest, but I'm thinking a reel + finger spool backup would work for basic needs, but YMMV.

It seems to me that whistles and mirrors and such don't get used on most dives (do they?) I'd stow those in pockets, not waving in the breeze.

Do people find it easy to reach inside a butt pouch to get stuff? I'm not limber enough, I suppose.

No penetration planned. I usually use a reel if there is current in case I get blown off the wreck. This would be a larger reel..Manta Sr specifically. Penetration would be mostly a walk through if its wide open. Anything approaching real overhead and I will not go in. The whistle is often required and is a real pain to carry around. I am trying to do away with any additional pockets or pouches. Hence the dilemma. Sounds like the spare mask is not as important...one item down...the DSMB is a larger device/small lift bag. I launch it from depth-60-80 feet .. It has a ton of air and is perfect for a controlled ascent off the wreck (if I end up off it - never happened yet)..it is over 7 feet long and is easy to spot in the waves... The smaller SMB is something I would only deploy at the surface for signaling..its smaller - 6 feet and inflated by mouth... Both DSMB and SMB are bungied to the backplate and sit just between me and the backplate on either side so I can easily get to them. I guess I can try doing away with the smaller reel (manta Jr) and using a finger spool. I do really prefer the reel though for launching the DSMB from depth. It has a hand held release for the line. So maybe I will try with a larger spool. I will try to find a small pouch to mount on the wast strap to stash the whistle and mirror. Thanks for the ideas.

I dive with a dive helmet I rigged up from my old climbing days. On it are semi permanently attached two 300 lumens camera lights, Go pro in the front, and I carry at least one extra small light off the left D ring and bungeed to the chest strap - DGX600 ..So in essence on every dive I have 3 lights. I always film so the helmet lights are usually on to improve the quality of the video.

Back
Top Bottom